We've all been wondering exactly what Intel would do with various multicore x64 processors that had been designed as co-processors to accelerate graphics and other applications with lots of number-crunching. The answer, as Intel explained at the International Super Computing conference in Hamburg, Germany this week, is simple: …
...will it run Crysis?
It runs Crysis at very high resolution and frame rate, but they forgot to put vga/displayport/DVI/HMDI or any kind of video DAC or video connector,
So you can't actually watch it running crysis. Unless you have an optical dataport fitted to your neck (those gizmos Intel prefers to USB3.0)
We are no longer
the knights who say "larrabee"
I demand a shrubbery
Really, you've gotta laugh at "ease of programming that comes from using a co-processor based on the x64 instruction set".
I can't wait for ARM to get serious and start playing in this area. Much easier instruction set to code for...
Lipstick on a pig
Larrabee failed at graphics so they re-brand it as "knights" and tout it as HPC-only. Totally lame.
Intel/Knights is just like NVIDIA/Tesla with six differences:
1. NVIDIA has a killer graphics version in GeForce/Quadro.
2. Fermi blows Larrabee/Knights away in HPC performance.
3. NVIDIA crushes Intel anything in price/performance.
4. Intel sucks at software. They think parallel x64 is just a compiler switch. NVIDIA is great at software. They know better.
5. NVIDIA has been shipping GPGPU for years and has thousands of ISVs doing parallel applications. Intel announces vaporware to fool investors.
6. Jen-Hsun Huang is a genius technologist. Paul Ottelini proves once again he is clueless.
but can it run x264
but can it run x264?
the Arm A8/9 + SIMD NEON™ single, commercial dual, and presumably quad A9 up-to 2gig samples can a;ready compile and run the worlds best visual quality AVC/H.264 HD Video Encoder.
did Intel bother to get several of these cards to the x264 SIMD dev's for feedback on tweaking the microcode for the long term best performance ?
- +Analysis Microsoft: We're making ONE TRUE WINDOWS to rule us all
- Climate: 'An excuse for tax hikes', scientists 'don't know what they're talking about'
- Apple: We'll unleash OS X Yosemite beta on the MASSES July 24
- Yorkshire cops fail to grasp principle behind BT Fon Wi-Fi network
- White? Male? You work in tech? Let us guess ... Twitter? We KNEW it!