back to article Steve Jobs beheads iPad apps for acting like desktops

The Apple App Store police are now rejecting iPhone and iPad applications for behaving like "widgets" and "creating their own desktops," according to one developer who's busy eating his previous claims that Apple isn't evil. In late April, an unnamed Australian — one of a small team of cross-platform developers known as Shifty …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. LaeMing

Night of the long spoons

If you sup with the devil, and all that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sup with the devil...

And don't even try the (Android) restaurant next door.

2. gluonspring
    Jobs Horns

It's so sad. The more evil Apple behaves, the higher their stock flies.

The <a href="http://ipadmakesmesad.blogspot.com">list of egregious Apple behavior </a> just goes on and on. Just last year I could have written an Apple fan blog, but they have completely jumped the shark for me.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The bigger lesson here

Just because the rules haven't bitten you yet, it's worth understanding why people are complaining about them. The whole "well it hasn't hurt me" mentality is always a dead end for progress. I think the iPhone and iPad look great, but I'll stick with my laptop and OSX until I can use them however I like. I just hope they don't start locking down OSX too or I'll have to move back to Linux. To me, and apparently most of the world, the reason computers are so damn awesome is because they're so damn open.

If Apple really believed people wanted the platform under Apple control, they'd start limiting which websites could be visited. But they know that would be the death of both devices. People do want freedom. The only reason they can get away with the app limitations on the iPhone and iPad is because 1) the unlimited internet provides most of the usefulness in the first place and 2) they're supplemental devices; people already have a real computer to do whatever they want on.

And that makes clear the real reason I think Apple limits them: they don't want to cannibalize their computer sales. Fair enough. But I can't imagine how much it would suck to develop for a platform knowing you can get your plug pulled any time by Apple because you're making something too cool.

1. rciafardone
      Linux

OSX has a Linux Kernel...

So you wont feel so bad if you move on... :D

1. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

And you fail... badly

It has a bastardized FreeBSD kernel. Which is not Linux.

1. Stuart Elliott
          FAIL

You say tomato I say tomato..

Let's call the whole thing off.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

RE: You say tomato I say tomato

lol

http://bash.org/?604051

2. IanPotter
          FAIL

Re: And you fail... badly

As do you, it uses Mach.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

RE: OSX has a Linux Kernel...

You are wrong, actually, as OSX is based on BSD kernel and, unless you are a kernel developer or low-level programmer yourself, in 2010 you usually don't budge with kernels.

All major operating systems' kernels are mature enough that desktop and applications are drivers of the average user's experience.

3. PC1512

Nope

It's certified UNIX, nowt to do with Linux (aside from the fact that Linux is a cheap copy of UNIX).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Nope

"It's certified UNIX"

Big whoop: is it 1993 again or something? No-one cares about the Unix mark any more.

1. PC1512
            Headmaster

1993 Factoid

UNIX != Linux, whether you care about that or not..

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
            WTF?

Unix doesn't matter. No?

Well I think most Fortune 500s would disagree as most of them run Unix variants on their back-end servers, Trolley!

When you grow up, leave school and head into the real world, you will find that serious computing power does not come from some Mickey-Mouse 8 node Windows thing, but 64+ node Unix clusters running proper database software that can work in the petabyte size, not fall over when it runs a 50MB Access DB!

1. Rattus Rattus

I don't think he meant Windows

I think he meant nobody cares if the UNIX-like OS you run is actually officially "UNIX" (ie BSD or System V) or if it's just UNIX-style like Linux. I really doubt he was trying to imply the servers of the world run on Windows.

2. David 141
              Linux

Linux != Unix

"Well I think most Fortune 500s would disagree as most of them run Unix variants on their back-end servers, Trolley!"

@The Fuzzy Wotnot

91% of the world's fastest computers run Linux, less than 5% run Unix. A fair chunk of the really fast machines run AIX and Linux.

(http://www.top500.org/stats/list/35/osfam)

The reason that Unix is still common in the business world is has more to do with marketing and legacy system support than the superiority of those OS's.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

unbelievable, but then again, this is apple we're talking about

The very first thing I did when I got a Palm-based PDA back in my college days (yes, I'm that old) was to swap out it's boring white home screen with one I can change the desktop of.

For apple to deny such a thing when the home screen of an iPhone/iPad/iTouch is a boring black makes it less attractive. As much as I dislike M$, at least they're smart enough to allow skinning the desktop with custom themes.

Steve says wallpapering desktops is dead. I say he's being delirious.

1. chr0m4t1c
      Thumb Down

I hate to be pedantic

But you can change the wallpaper on the iPad. That's a built-in ability, not something that requires jailbraking.

The upcoming iPhone OS4 will enable that functionality on the iPhone based on the demo.

You're right about them not doing themes, though.

By all means criticise a device for not providing a certain piece of functionality, but it's usually a good idea to check that it doesn't before hand.

And now I will be down-voted for pointing out facts that happen to be in Apple's favour. How dare I.

2. AF
      Stop

No, Steve says "Wallpaper on your desktop? Sure!"

If you'd actually looked at an iPad, you'd notice that you can indeed have whatever wallpaper you want on your home screen. I've got a picture of the Peggy's Cove lighthouse on mine. True, you can't do it right this minute on an iPhone or iPod Touch, but it's been announced in iPhone OS4 (bit late, but it's coming).

So Steve doesn't say "wallpapering desktops is dead", he says "wallpapering desktops is actually not that bad after all, so go on then, if you must".

5. rahul

Desktop real estate going to the dogs (iAds)?

Me thinks iAds is going to need / use the desktop real estate. Nothing should cover up the glory of the ads displayed the on device that many perceive as overpriced.

6. Wrenchy
    Linux

Not so fun

When it happens to you...

As sad as this is, there are 10,000 rabid fanbois/developers waiting for Stevie-boy to sh1t on them. Oh please Sir, may I have some more??

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh come on ...

who didn't see this coming?

Well the Mac FanBois obviously. Jobs and his clan are rapidly becoming Balmer look-a-likes tho.

Hands up, I'm a Linux guy. This bitch fighting between users and 'owners' is getting tedious tho. OOH, dows it run on iPad, does it run on Android, does it run on AmigaOS?

I'm fucked off with this all now Reg! (Censor that if you want by the way?)

I want to develop an app without considering tedious laws or API's. I need money coming in. Any platform that is not letting me isn't an issue.

I've dropped all iPhone development. I now write Layers for approved apps on both. It's cheaper. If either company drop the apps we write to that run on both phones, we'll drop using that app until something better comes up.

Where is your Tricorder you once asked?

When the mobiles all have a standard HTML interface thru to H/W and software, you'll have it. Untll then, sod the buggers. In IT everything always reaches a standard, and pads, pods, mobes ( :p ) and everything else will.

1. HollyX
      Heart

+10 points ...

... for mentioning AmigaOS ^_^

8. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

title

"There is no alternative platform, despite what others may say about Android, it’s immature and their app store(s) are a wild west nightmare. It really is Apple’s way or the highway, and that really stinks..."

Well, stop whinging, get off your arse and help make Android's app store better. Google would be more than happy to take suggestions to make the Android market place better and more ubiquitous than the Apple app store and give you the alternative you desire. Jump ship now, before the rush.

Eventually, Apple will piss off so many developers and have such a bad reputation they'll come crashing down. Developing for the the iPhone/iPad is somewhat like taking a stroll through a minefield with a blind fold on: one wrong step and "KaBOOM!!" And the worst part is, you know that if you do anything remotely creative and interesting you can virtually guarantee you'll step on one of those really nasty anti-personnel mines that takes your nadgers off but leaves you alive.

9. Christopher Martin
    FAIL

Definitely widgety.

Seriously... weather, clock, sticky notes? Those are the first things that any half-assed desktop-widgetsmith will forge.

10. Lance 3
    Jobs Horns

Don't feel sorry at all for them

Look at the latest SDK, it even states that Apple can reject an app for any reason. So it doesn't matter that they cannot see anything in the SDK that prohibits it; the catchall clause covers it. Developers should be leaving in droves and show Apple that they wield more power than Apple thinks they have. The other clue should have been the confidentially portion as well. A developer is coding an application and releasing it to the world; what is Apple really hiding?

11. ks2problema

It's Apple's party...

It's Apple's party and you can cry if you want to -- but, look, it's how they work. It's how they think. It's who they are.

As the snake said: You knew I was a snake when you took me home.

1. rciafardone
      Coat

Wrong fable?

Maybe you are thinking in a scorpion... and a toad... and moving across a river insted of a home.

1. Stuart Elliott
        Badgers

RE: Wrong Fable

Nope, he was referring to the song "The Snake" sung by Al Wilson.

Badgers.. well because they go well with snakes..

Badger badger badger badger.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Actually in the Netherlands

Apple's stance might well be illegal. If you simply do not allow an app, that would probably be OK, but throwing it out AFTER it previously had been approved, that is unreasonable, UNLESS the developer made changes which make it unacceptable. Even then the previously approved app should still be allowed.

Given the great asymmetry in power between Apple and most of its developers, a judge in the Netherlands might quite easily throw out the catchall "we can reject anything for any reason we like, and change our minds any time" parts of any contract as being unfair and unreasonable.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The law of the law and big corps

You should realise by now that this sounds great in theory and probably stands up legally, but when it comes to the big corps with their expensive lawyers, deep pockets and dirty tactics, it never holds up in practice.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Again: it depends on the country

Some countries have a legal system that does not mean seeking justice against a big corporation means going bankrupt .

12. ReasonableGuy

Starting to get "un-friendly"

I have been a regular customer of Apple since the summer of 1984. I have been looking forward to the next version of the iPad (I try really hard not to be on the bleeding edge, 'cause I've lost too much blood in the past).

But now I may have to consider the full gamut of pad / tablet devices.

I fully appreciate the desire and need of Apple to keep crap off the iPad, but this time it seems they are indeed going to far.

Perhaps my one-time classmate (Mr. Jobs) is suffering from pre-mature fuddy-duddyness.

1. The Indomitable Gall

Irony...

"I have been a regular customer of Apple since the summer of 1984."

You couldn't have picked a more ironic year, given the circumstances.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Irony...

If Orwell had had any inkling of how often his work would be pompously cited by silly buggers on the internet, I suspect he would have thrown away his typewriter and spent his short life breeding ostriches instead.

1. Asgard
          Big Brother

@"If Orwell had had any inkling of how often his work would be pompously cited"

He did have an inkling, its why he wrote his 1984 book!

His work is becoming ever more relevant to our time which is shown by ever more example news of how technology is being abused as a means of control.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

But then he wanted to call it

gfruio0gffuiioufiuodfdfoip

(post must contain letters)

13. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Poor devil.

It acutally looks like a cool App. Wouldn't mind it for my Crackberry.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't worry

In 12 hours, Daring Fireball will let you guys know why this rejection isn't just good for Apple, but it's good for its users, its developers and you as well.

Then everything will be alright.

15. JP19

Overkill.

So when will we be able to buy that Verizon/Google tablet?

16. noodle heimer

how much longer will the npr app live? the abc app?

Boy, if they don't like apps that look like desktops, how much longer will the NPR or ABC apps live?

What, forever, because they're driven by major players?

17. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Jailbreak away...

Gives all the more legitimacy to jailbreaking..

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well...

Just modify your app a bit so it has a border and shows 2 pixels of the iPad desktop behind it round all the edges... Then nobody (well maybe almost nobody) can claim it's a desktop.

Then load it up with a logic bomb which triggers in 2 months time and screams "Steve Jobs is a wanker" out of the speaker at full volume.

19. gimbal
    Megaphone

The reason? Jobs Co. is truly obsessive

...about their beloved "Apple-ness". People can argue as many points as they may please, the Apple company continues to conduct itself as an obsessive big brat, in the tech industry - at least to whoever endeavors to introduce new approaches to the Apple platform and Apple Co's beloved "Appleness."

I'm not one to say, "Let's sell all our Apple stock." I would like to say, with all sincerity: Apple, grow the f- up, stop slighting whoever rubs your fancy fur the wrong way, and support your developers, already.

1. Arctic fox

Yeah, that I think is in fact the point.

The reasons for the rejections when they ocurr are in fact often subjective. I.e. It does not fit in with how Apple see their own image/brand rather than there being anything objectively wrong with the app concerned. That is why our aussie friend has not been given any explantion, nothing he could change so that it would not be dropped. The cults priesthood just don't like it - nothing objective about the rejection at all.

20. jeff419

First they came for the.....

widgety apps. But our app wasn't widgety so we did nothing.

I think app devs all need to unionize or form an association to use their group effort to put apple in it's place.

Or just move to android. I personally can't wait to retire my iphone for an evo 4g phone from HTC/Sprint come Friday.

21. MicroNix

Devs, bring those nice rejected apps to Android

We won't kick you out... In fact, out of the box thinking is welcome. Don't put up with Steve's crap when you can have an awesome collaborative community.

22. Jay 12
    Thumb Up

/inbetweeners

APPLE WANKERS

/inbetweeners

23. Paul Richards

It is Widgety

I get it and understand why they are removing it. However it's about the why? It needs to be more relevant to the platform, this is where creativity comes in.

24. John Tserkezis

Impressive...

That a company can piss off their own fanbois.

You have to try hard to do that...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like