back to article Tokyo Tech dumps Sun super iron for HP, NEC

The Tokyo Institute of Technology - which put Sun Microsystems back on the HPC map along with floating point accelerator maker ClearSpeed back in the summer of 2006, with the 87 teraflops Tsubame 1.0 supercomputing cluster - has decided to go with different vendors and technologies in its next generation 2.4 petaflops Tsubame 2. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Happy

Suing?

"But this time around .... it's not suing Sun or ClearSpeed."

Suing?

" But this time around, according to an announcement that Tokyo Tech made this week, it's not suing Sun or ClearSpeed."

Surely you mean "using" instead of "suing".

Joke

Big in Japan

I live just around the corner from Tokyo Institute of Technology - waiting for the day their marketing team latches on the idea of shortening the name a la MIT , complete with large neon signs high above the Tokyo skyline

it's not using ClearSpeed

Is anybody?

Thumb Up

Windows HPC

Did I read correctly that they got rid of Solaris for Windows HPC server 2008 or am wrong!! Technology moves on.

Silver badge
Boffin

Meh

I first thought that they had dumped a superior platform for the garbage x64 iron, but then I read "Opteron". Then they just switched garbage for garbage, the only thing worth mentioning was the OS swapping, which is for the worst anyway.

We need a new Cray dude. The HPC segment is stagnating!

It is a political decision

Sun is now owned by Oracle.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums