back to article John Lewis JL22LCD HD

John Lewis may have some odd traditions, such as the one about the chairman being the only person in the partnership allowed to write in green ink, but the posh store has also long been popular with canny TV buyers. Besides a decent selection of tellies, the other reasons are because of the company’s price match promise and free …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the real brand?

John Lewis offer various own-brand goods that are simply badge engineered versions of popular makes, sometimes with minor tweaks to scupper any arguments over price comparisons. For example, the John Lewis branded washing machines are just normal Míeles with things like the maximum spin speed raised or lowered a couple of hundred RPM.

So i assume these TVs will just be Sharps or Samsungs or something, but does anyone know who, and which specific models these TVs are clones of?

2. Gangsta
    Boffin

EPG

EPG looks the same to a F&H (Ebuyer own brand) TV I have. So I'm gonna say Generic China- made television with JL badge and remote.

Well you didn't expect them to research,develop and produce their own product, did you?

Also - just a note to anyone wanting to buy one of these generic TVs; they are fantastic for the price you pay, obviously not all of them, but if you stay frosty...

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Greater than 1W Standby banned

I believe that the EU regulations ban the sale to stores of TVs with a standby power greater than 1W. If they don't already they will from June.

Having said that I'm not sure elReg has sufficiently accurate test gear to confirm this product is out of compliance. So not sure if the FAIL is elReg or JL!

4. Robert E A Harvey
    Coat

I

I for one welcome our new employee-owned overlords. Once they've done Sofas and Suits and Tellies and Washing machines, how about a John Lewis car?

Never Knowingly Undersealed?

I'll get my fashionable and surprisingly well-made jacket

5. Mark 131
    Joke

And there was me thinking....

...anything like this by John Lewis would have had the numbers 3 through 5 optional.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Own brand

Actually the washing machines, fridges and dishwashers are Electrolux; I think Miele are a bit like Kellogg's when it comes to white-boxing. Let's just say I have insider knowledge on these things.

These TVs are made by Linsar and all I will say is you get what you pay for but be thankful JL give you a 5-year guarantee.

7. Giles Jones Gold badge

Rebadged.

"No Alan, It's called a Rover Metro now"

"They've rebadged it you fool"

I would imagine it's a cheapo set rebadged with a nice big mark up. Those who know quality will return it, those who don't will make them a lot of profit.

8. Alastair McFarlane
    Thumb Up

Linsar - correct

Yup, I worked in Audio & TV while I was at university (graduated last year), and I can confirm as above that the Washing Machines (and white goods in general) are Electrolux, the digital radios either Pure or Magicbox, depending on the range, and the TVs Linsar (the same company, funnily enough, as Avtex).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Viewing angles? Is it a TN?

It wasn't mentioned in the review, but smaller, cheaper screens (especially at Full HD resolution) are very often TN types, whose contrast varies enormously with viewing angle. You have to be sitting right in front of them. This is fine for a desktop monitor, not so great for a home TV.

[Easy to spot the duff ones in a shop, btw: just look at the screen from below.]

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like