Feeds

back to article Galactic pile-ups feed supermassive energy output

NASA's Swift satellite appears to have confirmed one reason why a small percentage of supermassive black holes throw out vastly elevated levels of energy: it's provoked by violent collisions between galaxies. NASA explains that one per cent of such black holes - weighing in at "between a million and a billion times the Sun's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Flame

No, no, no!

It's just god* turning the lights on and off !!!

* Insert deity of personal preference

Joke

Title goes here

"10 billion times the Sun's energy"

But could it run a PC powerful enough to play Crysis?

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

title

no

Joke

Intergalactic pile-ups?!

Where there's blame there's a claim!

I would NOT like to be the insurance company for these, as no doubt there will be TV adverts for this very soon!

Gold badge

Sound reasoning

Intergalactic pile-ups are why we need more average speed cameras, natch.

Bronze badge
Troll

When galaxies collide

I pity the poor aliens who once inhabited these galaxies. Or, if you will, the galaxians.

Joke

I'm sure...

the swift bat will solve many problems and answer many questions

Happy

holy collision, bat-man!

i'm already sorry i said that....

hmmm x-rays, you say?

I wonder how they decided whether these photons they're looking at were x-rays instead of gamma rays. As I recall, the difference between the two is how they're made: gamma rays for chemical radioactive sources, x-rays for electric sources. They didn't get to "Colliding Galaxies" as a source for either...

But then, they're calling them "hard" and "soft," so perhaps they don't really care what the proper name is...

Silver badge

Re : hmmm x-rays, you say?

Gamma are higher frequency than x-rays although there can be considerable overlap

This topic is closed for new posts.