back to article X-51 hypersonic scramjet flight delayed by errant freighter

The X-51A Waverider scramjet test scheduled for yesterday has been delayed for 24 hours by a freighter wandering into the Pacific firing range where the trial flight is to take place. According to a statement issued by US spokesmen at Edwards airforce base - where the X-51's launch aircraft, a modified B-52 bomber operated by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Terminator

Ouch

Least they didn't launch and hit it. The boat's crew would never have known what hit them!

Sailors, eh?

Probably didn't realise where they were and just thought they were orbiting the Isle of Sheppey.

Black Helicopters

Wonder if...

..that errant ship had more aerials than most and wasn't there by mistake?

/black helicopters for the obvious reasons

Was the ship

a Russian "fishing trawler". The type with loads of sophisticated snooping gear in its hull instead of fish?

Black Helicopters

Probably an innocent Russian Freighter

packed to the gills with electronic surveillance equipment.

Joke

Bad taste joke alert

Now if this had been the North Koreans running the test...

Joke

Re: Bad taste joke alert

[Converting to a good taste joke]

...the X-51 would officially, instead of ditching, fly onwards and upwards into orbit to forever play revolutionary anthems composed by the Dear Leader.

Silver badge

At least they bother checking now

They did manage to learn from what happened to the Lucky Dragon

Black Helicopters

Sure, unprofessional... no, professional ex-KGB more like it.

Wasn't there already a failed test flight of one of these? They successfully launched and got like <5 seconds of telemetry before it fell apart.

More than likely it was a case of Russian captain saying, "Da, Chinese contact told to park here and collect pieces."

Boffin

Time for something else then

If they are keeping an eye out for surface shipping, then the Powers that Be must get cracking to deploy a submerible in that area quickly if they are to recover the "lost" testbed and develop the next generation equipment themselves...

Though I notice that this article comes out at about the time of the rescheduled test. Hmmm.

That's what I get for relying on El Reg for my top-secret intelligence. Zut!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums