back to article EU says Google and Microhoo still violate data protection law

A panel of European Union data protection authorities has told Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo! that their data retention policies still do not comply with EU law. On Tuesday, the Article 29 Data Protection Working Party — an independent advisory body on data protection and privacy — sent public letters to the three major search …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark 65

Funding source

I believe the EU could fund a tiny portion of that Greek debt from these idiots unwillingness to comply with the law.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

@Mark 65

I agree, and I love Microsoft's response, "your privacy takes second place to our right to innovate." Fork them! Our society is really broken if statements like that can be made without any repercussions.

1. Gannon (J.) Dick
        IT Angle

The MBA's Guide to The Innovation Circus

Education: Read Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nation's"

1. Take the Elephant's shackles and the Escape Artist's handcuffs and put them on the Juggler.

2. Fire the Elephant and the Escape Artist

3. Hire an off-shore Juggler to be trained by incumbent Juggler.

4. Fire incumbent Juggler

5. Call it a Circus

6. Collect "Right to Innovate" Bonus

7. Repeat until Retirement

Retirement: Read Adam Smith's "The Theory of Moral Sentiments", say 'Whoops', die

2. Steven Knox
    FAIL

"...an independent and external auditing entity..."

Independent -- so who pays them?

External -- so how do they know Goohoosoft is actually showing them the real anonymizing process?

This is just bureaucrats requiring more bureaucracy. Only a fool would think that this would actually result in better privacy.

1. OldDogNewWalk
      Troll

@ Knox

Hi Stephen, meet fool.

3. mhenriday
    Thumb Up

Kudos to the Article 29 Data Protection Working Party ;

let us hope that the European Commission takes further steps with regard to this matter ! Sometimes - admittedly rarely - the EC does something to the benefit of European consumers....

Henri

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dealing with the privacy pirates

Just treat them like the other pirates, cut off their Internet connection, or throttle their bandwidth back to dial-up speeds.

Or is the upkeep of a record company exec's holiday villa deemed much more important than the right to privacy?

5. Scott 1
    FAIL

E.U. bureaucrat twats

I don't suppose the fact that people have the option to use another search provider has any bearing on this matter. After all, that wouldn't give the E.U. bureaucrat twats reason to stick their Marxist noses where they don't belong. I mean what good is a government if it doesn't try to impose its nonsense regulations on companies that are based and run in a foreign country.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like