Information is power, right? Well, just how powerful must most organisations feel today, given the amount of information they are packing? The immediate irony is that the opposite is generally true – we create data with gay abandon, but our ability to keep tabs on everything that we create is showing itself to be increasingly …
we have a similar problem
it's mostly related to teh age of some of the applcications still in use though. When some were built, everything was seperate, and when the idea of a single customer view finally filtered through, no-one wanted to go back and update them.
So what you end up with is a bastardised hybrid, where instead of linking to the data in the single customer system, any updates to the customer get propagated down to lots of other systems. It's messy and unreliable, but no-one wants to pay to sort it out, it's always going to be fixed in each system "when we replace it", should this mythical event ever occur.
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Updated + vids WHOA: Get a load of Asteroid DX110 JUST MISSING planet EARTH
- 10 years of Facebook Inside Facebook's engineering labs: Hardware heaven, HP hell – PICTURES
- Very fabric of space-time RIPPED apart in latest Hubble pic
- Massive new AIRSHIP to enter commercial service at British dirigible base