Hitachi Maxell has demonstrated a 50TB capacity LTO-class tape using perpendicular magnetic recording technology. This is 400 per cent more than the raw capacity of the highest-capacity tape on the LTO roadmap, the 12.8TB LTO-8. Hard disk drives have used perpendicular magnetic recording for some years and its limitations are …
Not "400% more"...
Yeah yeah, engineers ARE pedantic, and I am one. 400% times would be ok, just a slight exaggeration.
"his is 400 per cent more than the raw capacity of the highest-capacity tape on the LTO roadmap, the 12.8TB LTO-8."
No it's not. 50TB is about four times 12.8, but that means that is it 300% more than 12.8TB in the same way that doubling is a 100%, not 200% increase. I see this basic mathematical mistake over and over again in journalism and press announcements - no doubt the bigger numbers add wow factor, but at the expense of inaccuracy and exaggeration
(There is a counterpart to this in the other direction - far too often halving is described as an - impossible - 200% decrease when it's actually 50%).
- +Comment Trips to Mars may be OFF: The SUN has changed in a way we've NEVER SEEN
- Vid Find email DIFFICULT? Print this article out and give it to someone 'techy'
- Back to the ... drawing board: 'Hoverboard' will disappoint Marty McFly wannabes
- Pic Forget the $2499 5K iMac – today we reveal Apple's most expensive computer to date
- Google+ goes TITSUP. But WHO knew? How long? Anyone ... Hello ...