The people of the Tennessee Valley who depend upon the eponymous hydroelectric plants for their electricity may soon start seeing brownouts when what looks like another petaflops-class Cray supercomputer is plunked down at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. The Oak Ridge boys already have the 1.76 petaflops XT5 "Jaguar" …
Energy / CO2
<chuckle> I guess I have no problems with the Yanks spending vast sums on money and lots of CO2 / electricity to run this puppy.
I guess they don't think CO2 causes global warming, either :)
Not a globalonist myself, but I rather suspect the point of putting it
at Oak Ridge is precisely the point that it will use the HYDRO power from the nearby dam. No CO2 contributions for the electric. Personally, I wouldn't care if it were near a coal powered plant or a nuke, but those tend to get the enviro-wackos panties all twisted up.
I don't expect its outputs will be any better than its inputs. Given the data isn't all that great...
- Xmas Round-up Ghosts of Christmas Past: Ten tech treats from yesteryear
- Review Hey Linux newbie: If you've never had a taste, try perfect Petra ... mmm, smells like Mint 16
- Analysis Microsoft's licence riddles give Linux and pals a free ride to virtual domination
- I KNOW how to SAVE Microsoft. Give Windows 8 away for FREE – analyst
- Geek's Guide to Britain How the UK's national memory lives in a ROBOT in Kew