The people of the Tennessee Valley who depend upon the eponymous hydroelectric plants for their electricity may soon start seeing brownouts when what looks like another petaflops-class Cray supercomputer is plunked down at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. The Oak Ridge boys already have the 1.76 petaflops XT5 "Jaguar" …
Energy / CO2
<chuckle> I guess I have no problems with the Yanks spending vast sums on money and lots of CO2 / electricity to run this puppy.
I guess they don't think CO2 causes global warming, either :)
Not a globalonist myself, but I rather suspect the point of putting it
at Oak Ridge is precisely the point that it will use the HYDRO power from the nearby dam. No CO2 contributions for the electric. Personally, I wouldn't care if it were near a coal powered plant or a nuke, but those tend to get the enviro-wackos panties all twisted up.
I don't expect its outputs will be any better than its inputs. Given the data isn't all that great...
- JLaw, Kate Upton exposed in celeb nude pics hack
- Google flushes out users of old browsers by serving up CLUNKY, AGED version of search
- China: You, Microsoft. Office-Windows 'compatibility'. You have 20 days to explain
- GCHQ protesters stick it to British spooks ... by drinking urine
- Twitter declines to deny JLaw tweet scrubdown after alleged iCloud NAKED PHOTOS hack