The people of the Tennessee Valley who depend upon the eponymous hydroelectric plants for their electricity may soon start seeing brownouts when what looks like another petaflops-class Cray supercomputer is plunked down at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. The Oak Ridge boys already have the 1.76 petaflops XT5 "Jaguar" …
Energy / CO2
<chuckle> I guess I have no problems with the Yanks spending vast sums on money and lots of CO2 / electricity to run this puppy.
I guess they don't think CO2 causes global warming, either :)
Not a globalonist myself, but I rather suspect the point of putting it
at Oak Ridge is precisely the point that it will use the HYDRO power from the nearby dam. No CO2 contributions for the electric. Personally, I wouldn't care if it were near a coal powered plant or a nuke, but those tend to get the enviro-wackos panties all twisted up.
I don't expect its outputs will be any better than its inputs. Given the data isn't all that great...
- Product Round-up Smartwatch face off: Pebble, MetaWatch and new hi-tech timepieces
- Geek's Guide to Britain The bunker at the end of the world - in Essex
- FLABBER-JASTED: It's 'jif', NOT '.gif', says man who should know
- If you've bought DRM'd film files from Acetrax, here's the bad news
- VIDEO Herschel Space Observatory spots galaxies merging