back to article Acer denies Chrome OS netbook launch is near

Acer has gone on record to state that it will not be launching netbooks based on Google's Chrome OS in the "short term". "Acer believes that Chrome OS is without doubt an exciting product announcement and deserves its full attention as well as an in-depth study of its potential from a consumers perspective," the Taiwanese …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Going out on a limb

Is this to be expected with the issues involving Flash and ARM chips I've been reading about on this very site? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Coat

Judging from all the forums

it won't sell without flash player and people need MS Office 2010, too.

Mine's the one with the slackware CD in the pocket.

Anonymous Coward

Flash works fine on Arm

Or it did a year ago, when I cross compiled it for an Arm chip with an OpenVG backend. The problem is more likely to be in the hardware acceleration side of things, without which the video playback is pretty (very) slow.. That's a real can of worms

Of course, Office 2010 won't cross compile - I am sure MS have made sure of that.....but then, people don't really NEED that for a tablet.

Too bad I don't have access to the source

I'd try to port Flash Player 10.1 to my Palm Pre :-)

You're right

Per ZDNet:

"ARM dominates the mobile phone chip design market and has since 2008 been trying to get into the subnotebook market as well. The plan was to do so through Linux-based, ARM-powered 'smartbooks' that would provide an instant-on, longer-life alternative to x86-based netbooks but, according to ARM's marketing vice president, Ian Drew, events have conspired to stall this plan.

"We thought [smartbooks] would be launched by now, but they're not," Drew told ZDNet UK on Tuesday. "I think one reason is to do with software maturity. We've seen things like Adobe slip — we'd originally scheduled for something like 2009."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums