back to article Logitech Squeezebox Touch Wi-Fi music streamer

Following on from the Squeezebox Duet, Boom and Radio models, the Touch is Logitech's latest wizard wheeze to help liberate your digital music files. Like the Duet, the Touch acts as a bridge between your PC and your hi-fi by hooking the two up using a Wi-Fi network. However, you can't use it as a stand alone music player, as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin Glenn
    Thumb Up

Couldnt resist quoting a who number

Mama's got a squeeze box

She wears on her chest

And when Daddy comes home

He never gets no rest

'Cause she's playing all night

And the music's all right

Mama's got a squeeze box

Daddy never sleeps at night

2. Havin_it
    Happy

*Lusts*

This looks like the natural successor to the Squeezebox 3, which was just under £200 at launch if memory serves. Fifty quid more for a touchscreen (and a newer better DAC perhaps?) seems not all that unreasonable. Having an integrated (and usable) method of control is a big plus as well, saves you having to hunt for the remote when you want some tunes.

A tough, unobtrusive little unit that does its thing simply and well. I'm always tempting myself to get another SB3, but this is looking like a serious contender for a wee bit more of my hard-earned.

3. Andy Mc
    Thumb Down

hmmm

looks like a mightily expensive alternative to the o2 joggler, which is running at 49 quid right now.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Review FAIL?

Unfortunately this review fails to cover possibly the biggest difference between the Touch and the previous generations of SB devices. You do mention that you can add music from a SD card andt he Logitech page says "Access your music and photos directly from USB drives and SD cards" but fail to cover how this works. My understanding was that the Touch was running an embedded version of the Server software which the wiki seems to confirm: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox_Touch_as_a_Home_Music_Server

If you added your whole music collection on either a USB hard drive (or a large SD card) the Touch can supposedly operate as the server for itself *and* up to two additional players. ie - eliminating the need to run a NAS drive or leave a PC on all the time.

It would have been really nice to know what performance was like in this scenario as I think this opens the product up to a whole new class of users. This also completely (IMHO) changes the value for money vs the Duet. Additionally, the Duet remote has been rather superceded by the rather excellent 'iPeng' application for iPhone/iPod Touch.

5. Al Taylor
    Alert

@AC 18.04

Now that is an extremely interesting comment.

There was nothing in the reviewer notes or user manual that Logtech sent me about the unit being able to function as a server, nor did anything obvious show up when I plugged an SD card or USB key into my review unit - it simply opened up a menu to access the media on it.

Sadly my Touch has already gone back to Logitech but I will ask them what the deal is and update this comment or the review.

Part of me wonders if this was something planned for the Touch that never made it to the final production version - the Touch was due to be released in the third quarter of 2009 but was delayed by nearly 6 months.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Alun

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

3rd party developers

Hi Alun

You also forgot to mention the numerous great 3rd party developer plugins; notably Erland's DynamicPlaylist and Trackstat plus Spicefly's SugarCube. These have all opened up my music collection in new ways not possible with a "standard" static playlist streaming music player.

Its one of the main reasons I previously bought Logitech over Sonos, now I just need to save up for a Touch!

2. It'sa Mea... Mario
      Go

Check the Squeezebox forums?

The Logitech site or a Google search will provide link to the forums (the Slim Devices ones!)

The forums are very active and have a wealth of useful information about Squeezeboxen!

6. J 3
    Joke

the Touch is Logitech's latest

Cue fruity lawsuit in 3... 2... 1...

7. WolvesMan
    Thumb Up

SB Touch

Had mine for a few weeks now. Great device, so far pretty stable. The review failed to mention the other apps available, like Napster. You don't buy a device like this unless you like music, and the SB Touch combined with a basic Napster subscription makes a compelling argument. The inbuilt SB Server makes this device very different from SB devices or a Sonos system. You just plug in a USB stick or drive, or an SD or SDHC card, it scans the device and then all the music can be searched for, browsed and played with no lag - no PC, NAS needed. The Internet radio function is not unique, but well implemented, and there are plenty of UK stations available with virtually no lag when switching stations. Sign up to a free squeezebox account, and you can even control the device from your PC or laptop if the remote doesn't grab you! At this price it's hardly an impulse buy, but it's very good.

8. fattybacon

mysqueezebox

Al,

You also don't need to run the server software (either internally or on your local network), you can connect it straight up to http://www.mysqueezebox.com and stream radio and any music stored in a cloud locker like mp3tunes.com. Previous recent devices seemed to force you that route and only mentioning the server stuff as an aside.

An O2 Joggler running Squeezeslave gives you a similar control interface for buttons though.

9. It'sa Mea... Mario

iPeng

Also worth mentioning when talking about Squeezebox products is that... wait for it...

.. There's an app for that..

iPeng, not official but widely regarded as even better than the official wireless controller, Squeezebox remote control application for iPod Touch, IPhone and, soon, iPad.

10. Matthew Collier

Sound Quality not mentioned?

Come on, a device that has the primary purpose of creating a high fidelity output to a proper sound system, from files stored on a computer, doesn't get a mention in it's review?? Obviously, all the other stuff is important too, but from reading the Squeezebox forums, this is the vastly improved sounding, non-audiophile priced box people have been waiting for!

Not to mention, this is the first device in the range to natively support 96Khz/24bit "hi-res" audio files, which at the price, is a huge selling point to many that are in the market for this type of device.

Personally, I want one (for the previously mentioned improvements over the SB2/SB3), and for native 24/96 playback, but sadly the screen is way too small to replace my SB2 in my lounge. Hoping that they will make a Transporter sized version (without the Transporter sized price!). I am also hoping they will make a new Boom based on this, so the Boom can work when not within range of your network, and free it up to be used say on holiday!

11. The First Dave
    Boffin

Output

Nice set of outputs, but are they all line-level, or can you drive a set of mini-speakers off them directly? The only place I am ever likely to use this is the bedroom, where I really don't have the space for a big 'proper' HiFi, or any desire to buy one just to make this work. On the other hand, if it can drive a pair of passive speakers, that's another thing.

12. Al Taylor
    Alert

Touch as Server

Logitech has just confirmed to me that the Touch does indeed run a cut-down version of Squeezeserver and so can be used as a server for up to 3 other Squeezeboxes. Still not sure why the feature is getting less publicity from Logitech than a red-headed stepson, but there you go.

For those interested the relevant section of the Slim Devcies forum (which needless to say I shall now be reading avidly!) can be found here;

http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

13. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Stop

What are the alternatives?

I have all of my music on a Synology NAS running it's own itunes server, and what I'd like is almost this Logitech product, but with a built in speaker so it would be truly portable around the house.

Any products out there to recommend?

14. firedog

Review missed the point of the Touch

One, the Touch can be operated without a PC, unlike other SB devices.

It can play music loaded from an SD card, or from a USB HD directly connected to it.

The Touch DOES NOT require installing SB Server software. It comes with it's own version of the software loaded on it, and can run as a self-contained music server, as long as it has a files on the SD card or the external HD.

Two, the Touch plays hi-resolution 24/96 files in native format, something the SB Classic and Duet can't do. It also outputs higher quality analog and digital signals than those models. In short, the Touch is aimed at a more "audiophile" market than the Duet and SBC. The reviewer didn't seem to understand this at all

15. Al Taylor
    Alert

@ firedog

Fair comment, I should indeed have made more of the native support for 24bit/96Khz sampling.

Incidentally, if any Squeezebox owners have Android handsets I can recommend this..

http://www.squeezecommander.com/

Well worth the asking price.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Search interface?

One of the worst things about the previous generation of these boxes - controlled only via a remote - was trying to search using a tedious up/down/left/right interface. Does this do something smart, like giving you a virtual keyboard to type on?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like