Feeds

back to article Whitehall's new IT minister, who's it gonna be?

David Cameron has taken on Francis Maude as minister for the Cabinet Office, but the MP set to be handed the ConLib coalition government’s IT brief is yet to be announced. Oliver Letwin, meanwhile, has become the minister of state in the Cabinet Office, where he will act as the new Prime Minister’s policy advisor. Maude has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

They should start the search at Currys...

...the sales staff there are eminently qualified for a government IT position.

Happy

Letwin's brother had quite a lot of form in IT

Back in the day he worked for an IBM VAR called Pacific.

Not sure what he's doing now.

We could hope they get someone with more than an (ab)users knowledge of IT.

But let's be honest a Gloucester Old Spot will be lining up on 27Left before that happens.

Anon because I was taught it's rude to boast.

Adam Afriyie?

He didn't get the Science Minister job, so he's available, and he certainly knows about IT, having run a couple of firms in the past.

Norman Lamb

that'd be interesting

Anonymous Coward

Whoever it is...

...they'll probably be someone who can't change a 3-pin plug or guarantee the security of his/her own computer...

Someone who actually knows about IT would only end up being an embarrassment to the Whips.

IT Post

I am available!

IT Angle

Hopefully a bit of communication then

Hopefully the new person will be a better job of communicating the Governments overarching IT strategy to ALL governemnt departments which will hopefully give it more meaning than the ream of paper it currently occupies that gets taken notice of by hardly anyone outside the massive whitehall departments.

my money's on

A 60+ history graduate who still things pocket calculators are a snazzy new idea. They should have absolutely no knowledge of the past 30 years of developments in computing technology.

Please god let it be someone like that rather than some numpty who feels they have to spend their lives on twitter.

IT knowledge necessary?

IT knowledge would be a plus, but a liberal dose of common sense, receptiveness to expert advice, and an ability to see through supplier flim-flam might be more useful.

This topic is closed for new posts.