Feeds

back to article Fujitsu demos next-gen color e-paper

Fujitsu has announced its next-generation color e-paper, ushering in the possibility of lightweight color ebooks with long battery life and fast - well, tolerable - page-refresh rates. The announcement by Fujitsu Laboratories claims that the company's new e-paper has improved the display's color quality, plus tripled its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Gold badge
Thumb Up

Better

Not brilliant. Not perfect. But perhaps the start. of some actual competition.

So far *only* kindle breaks the 10mm barrier IE the thickness of an 80 sheet pad of A4 paper.

This post has been deleted by its author

Stop

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

PRS-505 specifications

* Size: 175 × 122 × 8 mm (6.9" × 4.8" × 0.3")

2mm less

Mirasol

I think Qualcom's Mirasol technology looks better. See http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/qualcomm-mirasol-display-video-hands-on-in-glorious-1080p/

Silver badge

On the right track

Seems that they doing it right to me.

Not quite there yet, but getting there.

So keep it up, people !

Silver badge

Might be usable

I'd be interested in trying out a device like this for a while. It could be useful for travel.

Judging from the images in the story, I'd guess color images are roughly equivalent to what you'd get in a book printed on non-glossy paper; so not up to the quality of a good textbook or a glossy periodical, but fine for casual illustrations in novels, color diagrams and graphs, and so forth.

Rather than a 1024x768 screen with a 0.7s refresh time, I'd like to see 800x600, which (assuming refresh time is proportional to area) should refresh in under half a second. The Foxit eSlick has an 800x600 screen, and judging from their photos that looks suitable for my tastes.

This topic is closed for new posts.