back to article Asus R101 netbook quietly flies in

Asus is gearing up to release its latest Eee PC netbook, and we hope it fares rather better than its namesake. Details posted online by a German retailer reveal that the Eee PC R101 is based on Intel's 1.66GHz N450 Atom processor, comes with 1GB of 800MHz DDR 2 memory and a 250GB hard drive, and has the customary 10in, 1024 x …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Linux

The main thing is

How much will it cost? Netbooks have been increasing in price in the past year. They seem to cost about £300 since they started having Windows on them. It looks rather drab as well.

R101 Netbook.

Hi folks,

I wonder why they chose the name of a famous British airship that crashed in France on its first flight from England to India. The R101 hit a hill in bad weather at night, but the only reason anyone died was because it was filled with explosive Hydrogen rather than Helium which puts fires out.

Perhaps they are warning owners it might overheat and catch fire one night. If you want to see a comedy site on airships try www.airship.me that has lots of funny pictures and U tube links.

Regards Bond, James Bond (www.airshipblimp.com) Skyship driver in A View to a Kill.

Pint

But ... but ... but ...

What's new except the re-used name? Same old or did I miss something? Anything?

Bronze badge
Jobs Horns

eeeeee?

So Asus have ditched the eee thing then, good, bit of a poxy brand name really.

It looks very similar to the eee 1005HA-H I bought last August (typing on it now), same spec too.

Best netbook out there IMO, still getting 9+hrs of battery life, does me a whole week of commutes to/from work and I don't even notice it in my bag (1.2Kg) I travel to the US a fair bit and this thing is genius for long-haul flights. I find myself using it as my main machine these days.

Netbook pricing... yes netbooks these days are more expensive than the originals.

But did anyone actually buy one of those £150 machines? How's that working out for you?

Battery life still around about 2hrs? Still got those thick black bars either side of the screen and 800x480 resolution? Filled up the 4GB SSD yet?

I'd much rather spend £300 on a incredibly usable netbook... than £300 on a cheapo blimp-sized Toshiba from PC World or sommat!

I mean come on, ipods cost about £200 don't they?

£250 for the netbook I've got right here... bargain

Happy

Re: eeeeee?

batfastad wrote: "But did anyone actually buy one of those £150 machines? How's that working out for you?

Battery life still around about 2hrs? Still got those thick black bars either side of the screen and 800x480 resolution? Filled up the 4GB SSD yet?"

Yes still using mine every day. Battery life is fine for the commute of half and hour each way. A higher screen res would be nice, but it still works fine for the vast majority of websites, Firefox 3's scaling helps for some fixed width ones. There is still some space on the 4G despite upgrading some of the software, but that's because any user data is on an 8G card in the slot.

I probably will get a new netbook at some point, but there aren't any which stand out from crowd, they are all too expensive and come with an unwanted infestation of Windows. As long as the original EEE is still going I'm in no rush.

Heart

Re: eeeeee?

Guess what, the the fiancée has just bought me a new HP210 for my birthday. So I'll have to put the loyal old EEE PC out pasture.

FAIL

Same specifications?

Different CPU, for a start.

Black Helicopters

so...

So it's going to crash and burn?

Silver badge

Oh

My guess before reading the article was that R101 stood for room 101, which would have been equally unfortunate. My room 101 has an iPad in it though.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums