Feeds

back to article WiGig gets spec and Alliance endorsement

WiGig is open for business, with a published specification and promotional agreement to push home and office networking up to 60GHz. WiGig offers connections of up to 7Gb/sec, but operating at the top end of the dial, 60GHz, makes for very short range. WiGig will carry over about 10 meters in ideal conditions, limiting the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Troll

This means...

This of course means war with the Wi-Fi Horde.

Sorry, I won't even bother getting my coat. I'm sorry.

Silver badge

Hah!

I sneer at your feeble WiGig. I have an ancient Sony Laser Link "wireless" video link. Uses Infra Red.

Silver badge
Happy

Amazing !

Infra Red huh? That's up in the 30 THz region. What amazing data rate are you getting with that?

Stop

Real world speed...

700 Mbit/s?

Joke

Title

700 Mbit/s assuming you don't have a metal object, tv, RF-noise-generating-object, sheet of paper, etc between your device and the router. And you must be within 6 feet to get max speeds, but no closer than 2 feet... (read the fine print).

Bronze badge

Like IR, but more invisible

60GHz sounds like it's going to have all the hassles of IR but with higher costs. What IR tech always lacks is a temporary visible beam to assist aiming. With a visible guiding beam, you could chose a common location on a wall or ceiling for all devices to bounce their signal off of.

Anonymous Coward

Sounds like you need a...

frikkin laser beam.

Pint

Forgot about 802.11n?

802.11n at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz please, preferably simultaneously. 802.11 g is nice, but dual-band simultaneous n is the way to go for a busy area.

This topic is closed for new posts.