back to article Cheeky voters oust Lembit Opik

In a night mostly lacking in spectacular surprises, one result struck like an asteroid out of the blue. Colourful Lib Dem MP, Segway rider, chat show regular and Cheeky Girl admirer Lembit Opik lost Montgomeryshire – one of the safest Lib Dem seats in the country – by a landslide. In one of the night’s more spectacular …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. It wasnt me
    Thumb Up

Wow.....

I came here, after a pretty bad election to celebrate Jaqui S losing her seat. And you give us old wonky face instead.

3 Cheers for finally seeing the back of that malicious, vile, sycophantic pointless parasitic plague on commen decency that used to be our home secretary.

May you rot in peace.

:-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Sweet.

One less talentless twat to deal with.. Now to deal with the rest of em...

3. Flugal
    Thumb Up

Jacqui Smith is dead!

Well, politically.

Forget Lembit, surely the evil Jacqui Smith losing her seat is more important?

Bye Jacqui!

4. LPF
    FAIL

hahahaha

Always hated him with a passion the smug git. That is all

5. N2

Good riddance

That £2500 Plasma TV just dosnt look quite as attractive when you have to pay for it your self & youre out of a job.

6. Steven Jones

Don't jilt a Welsh girl...

Electoral punishment for unceremoneously dumping Welsh Weather Girl Siân Lloyd?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bye bye human anagram

I doubt very much I'm the only Lib Dem who sees this as a blessing in disguise!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I hear Glyn Davies is a fan of super furry animals...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/547366.stm

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

First Minister for dyslexics beaten in polls

Pity really, whilst I am not a great fan of his Limpek could be a more interesting character than many who haunt the House of Commons. Quite what the wimmen saw in him with his !charming good looks was always a bit of a surprise to me. I suppose that he has other assets which make up for the lack of Prince Charming looks, and maybe his name is related to those assets....

And whilst we are discussing Ass ets, let Paris take a bow.

10. Neil Hoskins
    IT Angle

More's the point...

Perhaps more interestingly, for Reg readers who value science and hate superstition, Evan Harris has also sadly lost his seat.

1. Ned Leprosy Silver badge

Re: Evan Harris

That's because, whatever one thinks of his personal agendas, he was a totally crap MP, only answering a lamentable 7% of his correspondence in 2008 for example. As someone in his constituency, I'm glad to see the back of him; I'm no fan of the Conservatives, but hopefully his Tory replacement will actually do something for the area rather than spend all their time getting their face on the telly.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Don't know much about him

but he was particularly eloquent after such a great shock.

12. moonface
    Coat

Opik not a pretty picture at losing.

You could say "He is certainly laughing on the other side of his face this morning!"

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's going to happen to the cheeky girls now?

Surely they can't demand column inches in their own right, they'll need to find another minor celeb. to latch onto quickly.

14. Stu
    Joke

El-Reg = heat magazine?

<Quote>The last couple of years have not been kind to Lembit. In July 2008, fiancée and Cheeky Girl singer Gabriela Irimia announced she would be “taking a break” from her relationship with the Lib Dem MP - although her mother denied that the couple were splitting up.</Quote>

Oh give it a rest airhead.

Your typical (I'd hope) readers of El-Reg are NOT housewife dole queuers with 8 kids, are 14 stone and are addicted to daytime TV. Ok maybe one or two of the above, not NOT all! :-) But we're IT Professionals, okay some of us are IT professionals, but guys primarily.

So don't worry, we have our own negative stereotypical image.

A while back a mates GF was once quite surprised at me not knowing that Gail Porter had lost all her hair to that weird condition - saw her on the gadget show. I asked her why I'd give a flying f**k about something like that. All I cared about was that I knew her from the unforgetful FHM photo shoot quite a few years back now. Oh yes.

And NO, FHM isn't a celeb goss magazine, its got pretty ladies in ;-) and I (really) haven't bought it in years.

So less celebrity gossip please!? Oh sorry, I'll word it how u might understand it better - "LSS CLBRTY GOSS PLS".

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: El-Reg = heat magazine?

What a long post in which to claim you don't care about something. I love those.

15. Alan Firminger

No matter how bad things get

There's always summat to laff at.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If the last paragraph is correct...

...lets have a great deal more of that sort of voting strategy.

17. markp 1
    Pint

not paying enough attention to party organisation?

surely the other way round, by the sound of it? :D

This topic is closed for new posts.