Feeds

back to article Apple prices up iPad for UK

Apple has said how much the iPad will cost Brits when its 'magical' device goes on sale on 28 May. The Wi-Fi only version will be priced at £429, £499 and £599 for the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB models, respectively. Add 3G to the package and you'll pay an extra £100 for each of those storage capacities: £529, £599 and £699. Prices …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

FAIL

Ill take 3

Netbooks instead :)

FAIL

@Nathan is 13

3 netbooks like carrying 6 iPads around. Have fun with that.

Your argument will have merit when a netbook comes in the same form factor (with touch) as the iPad, works as fast, has as much battery life and applications specifically designed for the device. When that happens, I'll want 3 netbooks too!

Rob
Bronze badge
WTF?

Doesn't make sense

I'd rather buy a laptop with more functionality on it at the same price.

Silver badge
Stop

the iPads its not for me, but I do get what its there fore.

Winging that the iPad isnt more like an Laptop is like complaining that you can't use apples (the fruit) to make Orange juice. Its not supposed to be a laptop

Yeah, it does some similar things, but its not supposed to be a laptop, its going to do some things better, some things the same, and some things not as well as a laptop - , Apple juice will quench your thirst just as much as Orange juice will, and its one of your 5 a day, but if you want something to go with your Vodka, you probably want the Orange juice.

If you're looking for a portable web device and your phone is too small, or want something to watch movies on the go, well, its better than your bulky, cant run as long without a recharge laptop

Bronze badge
Alert

Now look here:

Vodka & apple is one of the finest mixed beverages on this green Earth, I'll have you know!

Muddled with a sprig of mint if the day is balmy enough to merit it.

Back to chap-school with you, insolent whelp.

Silver badge
Happy

Ah-hem...

Not just any old vodka please... Żubrówka!

Na zdrowie

Jobs Horns

didn't see that coming

rahahahahahaaa!!!

Now seriously, think of what else you could do with that money.

Unhappy

Apple never lie...

The Apple UK website states 'A magical and revolutionary product at an unbelievable price'.

Well, it's true, it is unbelievable. It's a lovely gadget, but not worth that much. You'll get a full on laptop (not just a netbook) for that sort of money. I'm not just talking Windows boxes either - from the top end, 3G flavour, you aren't far off from buying a Macbook.

Sounds like the usual shaft the UK buyer business model. A pity, as I'd have bought one were it, say, £100 or so less.

Thumb Up

Shaft the UK buyer?

"Sounds like the usual shaft the UK buyer business model"

In California, the sales tax is 9%. At that rate, a $499 iPad costs $543 dollars. If you're paying £429 (VAT included), you're getting it cheaper than we are ($536 according to el reg).

Flame

£1 != $1

Only if we are talking about a £1 = $1 ratio which is not the case.

$536 currently equals £365 which is what we should be paying (including tax), so it's almost £100 overpriced for the entry level model.

The top end 3G should cost £564 but costs £699. For £100 more you could have a new MacBook.

Rip. Off. Britain.

£1 != $1

Only that isn't quite how it works out. You have to take VAT/sales tax into account.

For the entry level model in the UK the price will be £429 INCLUDING 17.5% VAT. That is £365 before VAT. Which at the current exchange rate (according to xe.com) is $540.

This is just $41 (or 8.25%) more that the price before sales tax in the US. The same differential applies more or less across the range.

That is a premium, but hardly a complete rip off. (Compare for example with Adobe's European pricing.)

--Ian

Steve is right when he says ...

"Please educate yourself. UK prices must by law include VAT, which is around 18%. US prices do not include tax."

So says Mr Jobs to two emails about price differences.

As other people have said when you allow for £/$ variability, add in duty (if you are lucky Customs will say its a laptop/PDA with 0% duty or if you go for the 3G one then it might be classed as a PDA with GPS and hence attracts 3.7% duty) and VAT and then there is very little difference in real prices.

I've noticed that Apple have got better with their UK/US pricing over the years with closer alignment, once you take in to account VAT and currency exchange.

What is a rip off is VAT regardless of its %age - blame the EU for that one.

Paris Hilton

Seriously?

I mean, I'm sure it's a lovely bit of kit - but it's an awfully extravagant expense for me, even if we're talking the bargain-basement model.

Which is a shame, as I've been waiting on a handheld that offers a naturalistic reading method without reducing my eyes to pin-holes.

At that price though, I'll be sticking with my trusty old '06 Macbook.

Paris, because you can probably trace your fingers over her for less.

amazing

amazing just 430 quid for a cameraless. no usb support, no flash support device, but it will get multitasking sometime, and v2 ipad gets a webcam !!

used to be a fanboi but there a joke these days

strangely even my htc desire still can manage more than the ipad can !!!

FAIL

As the men would have said

If they need to publish a compatible list of web sites, they blew it.

FAIL

@scottinsheff

Enjoy your HTC Desire, then - I'm sure it's screen is adequate size, and battery life is equivalent.

FFS - it's a phone you're comparing to this device, why not pick a refrigerator or a toaster, then the iPad will suffer incredibly in your comparison.

Bronze badge
Pint

Totally agree.

My Asus (Think "On the beach") 701 works, multitasks, got 3 USB sockets, runs flash, wireless built-in, Finnish keyboard, plus, a freakin' webcam...Does Skype work on the "Jobsworth"?

The eeepc cost me less than £200. I love it!!! Use it daily in Finnish class as a dictionary/google translate tool/email, Never once crashed, and I never travel - even to the pub - without it.

So, on that basis what jobsworth would buy a, er, Jobsworth? Frikking thing hasn't even got a real keyboard, FFS.

One born every minute, I guess.

Thumb Down

@Andus Mcwhatever

You're right, it doesn't have a separate keyboard, but I wouldn't say it doesn't have a *real* keyboard, because that would be false. It also doesn't suffer the extra hardware that is a keyboard, so this one wins hands down in form factor (small and thin always win in my book, but that's my criteria).

BTW, I tried the keyboard on the iPad Friday evening - at first I rested my fingers on the keys (like I normally do) and immediately realised I'd inadvertantly typed several characters. Once I realised this isn't how you hold your hands, I proceeded to type quite naturally without any errors. It actually amazed me how easy it is to type with the onscreen version - something I hadn't really expected.

This post has been deleted by its author

jai
Silver badge

not really a rip off is it?

36 quid isn't exactly a rip off

it's less than 10% of the total price, so it's going to be quite close to the sales tax price isn't it?

also, if you're bringing one home from the states, you're probably buying from a store on the street. but even if not, all apple stores add sales tax anyway don't they? i was under the impression that you had to claim it back afterwards if it wasn't applicable.

so at most (assuming only 4% sales tax), the UK price is only 18quid more

not even RyanAir offer a flight to NYC for less than 18 quid do they?

Thumb Down

Think someone has their sums wrong

Price of US 16GB Wifi iPad - $499 - add, say, MA tax = $531 = £361 at today's exchange rate.

Price of UK 16GB Wifi iPad - £429 = $630 at today's exchange rate

So the UK iPad is approx $100, or £68 more. Enough for some semi-decent headphones, or a snazzy carry case.

Stop

Think someone else has their sums wrong

£361 + 17.5% VAT = £424.18. So you buy your iPad in Mass.*, bring it back home, pay your VAT at the border (you _did_ remember, didn't you?), and it's about the same as Apple are charging here.

Actually, for once, we're not being ripped off.

(* Good luck getting a sales tax refund at Logan airport...)

Except

UK VAT is 17.5%, so $499 + VAT = $586 = £397 at current exchange rates, so the £429 price allows for about a 10% drift in exchange rates (currently it's about $1 = £0.68, it can go to $1 = £0.74, which it may well do in the current political climate).

Yep, prices are rubbish, but unfortunately it's the fault of HMG. Whoever that turns out to be in the end.

Silver badge

Tried one on a recent USA holiday

Quite impressed, but not impressed to that level of cash expenditure.

There will be much cheaper linux based ones out soon. I hope.

Falling pound

With the way the pound is falling against the dollar, by Monday it'll be cheaper in the UK than in the USA.

That would only be true if ...

the pound tanks and Apple DONT update their prices on either side of the Atlantic.

Judging by the markets at the moment .. that could actually happen next week. Apple have a tendency not to change prices except when they update products, so fingers crossed!

FAIL

How much?

Nah. Too costly on a rip off $ vs £ level. Comedy pricing from Apple again forcing us to be second best in the queue and still charging us loads more.

I've a macbook and an iPhone 3G, but I'm not getting a 3GS and I definitely won't be getting an iPad. In fact, I'm tempted more and more by moving to Android almost entirely.

Silver badge

Suggest you reread the article and comments

Apple are charging very close to the same price, though it ends up seeming to be more because VAT is quite a bit more than most US sales taxes. Apple are not treating UK consumers appreciably worse than US consumers.

Come on...

These are chicks magnet!

In Switzerland...

We pay a rather unbelievable US$582 for the lowest level model... Or rather, we would - I fully intend not to.

In fact, I'd probably spend less flying to the UK and buying one there - That orange airline doesn't fly to yankeeland yet.

FAIL

Two Words....

EPIC FAIL

I for one will not be purchasing this...

Three Words

BUT MILLIONS WILL

FAIL

@Uk_Nobhead

Thanks for that comment. What else will you not be purchasing and informing the rest of the world who cares not one iota whether you will be or won't be?

I won't be buying the new tampon in the store, but I'm not motivated to run to the nearest tampon manufacturer's website and post that on there because it would be stupid.

can I have some...

from Stevo's personal stash? That is some really good shit!

Silver badge

Just buy an Etch-a-Sketch

and pull the wheels off.

Anonymous Coward

Cars

Could all those who've made the point that a laptop or netbook does sooooo much more for sooo much less please post a follow-up stating the car they drive? I'm sure you're all driving Mondeos and not Audis, BMWs, or Mercs but just want to check.

well, if it helps...

Its a ten year old Toyota Corolla with 160k on the clock. Happily does 70 and returns 47mpg.

What was your point?

Jobs Horns

Re: Cars

As far as I know both the Mondeo and a BMW 3 (for example) can use the same roads, run on the same fuel, transport the same number of passengers and basically perform the same task (with a difference of luxury and speed)

can the iPad navigate the same web pages as the netbook? connect with the same (ubiquitous) portable devices? work on the same files?

Thinking about it, what *can* it do? besides making my wallet $500 lighter, of course...

Anonymous Coward

My point...

...was that these forums, when it comes to all things Apple, are infested with hypocrites. You, sir, are the exception that proves the rule.

Bronze badge

Dunno what you're 'driving' at...

But:

A bicycle. Or the bus.

(Bike was sold to me by a bloke in a pub for a tenner...whose monicker I can't remember. Bubba something, if memory serves. Fantastic condition, just had to drill the lock barrel out . Had it donkeys years. Quicker than a Merc in a traffic jam.)

Insane Prices For Insane Devices

1 laptop of mine - £700.

1 Mobile phone - £400 / 35 PER MONTH.

1 Netbook - £350

1 Desktop PC - £750

3 Games consoles - £550+

Peripherals for all - £1000+ (controllers, mice, hard drives, memory cards......etc)

Broadband connection/Mobile broadband connection - £65 per month

I renew most of these every year and can see NO real incentive for me to add the iPad to the list, especially not at those prices. It's a gadget and one which falls somewhere between a mobile device and a netbook but offers NOTHING new.

If I was to lay out all my communication and media devices on my desk it would be full. Where on that desk I put an A4 slab of marketing hype I have no idea and neither do I have a clue about for what purpose it would serve that my other devices nicely laid out on my desk do not.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have fun playing with it but as a day to day device it would gather dust where my other devices get used regularly.

They have pulled off a great marketing stunt with the iPad by offering something of no value or useful function and brainwashing the geeks and fashionistas into thinking it is a must buy.

If I got an iPad would I throw out my Nexus One? No. It's not a phone.

If I got an iPad would I throw out my laptop? No. It's not a work device.

If I got an iPad would I throw out my desktop? No. It's not a work device.

If I got an iPad would I throw out my netbook? No. It is compatible with my phone/desktop/laptop.

If I got an iPad would I throw out my games consoles? No. It's not a dedicated gaming device.

Quite simply, no thanks Mr Jobs and at those prices the potential UK buyer may well be a little more sceptical than those across the pond.

Stop

You've got too much money then

For me:

No laptop - netbook does it all.

1 Mobile phone - ~£15/month

1 Netbook - £0 (paid for by work)

1 Desktop PC - £0 - used but good, labour cost to repair==value, so got for nowt.

1 Games console - ~£100 (bought 2 faulty and made 1 good)

Peripherals for all - ~£30

Broadband connection - £0 (paid for by work)

Mobile broadband connection - ad hoc; 30p/day

Still, I guess the type of people that throw money away like that are the people apple are targeting!

Silver badge

The £ / $ exchange rate...

... isn't likely to be stable for some time. Apple—like any other multinational—are naturally hedging their bets. There are also the rumours suggesting the iPad may be available with subsidies in the UK, which would affect Apple's own-store pricing.

Flame

Cue the usual responses...

...just wait for it:

- I can buy a netbook for less

- But I can get a xxx with yyyy more features for that money

- But I've got xxx & yyy - why would I need one?

- It will be too locked down to practical

Marvel as Apple proves you wrong, as it sells by the container-load to wide acclaim.

Just because *you* think they're rubbish doesn't make it fact, or make's everyone else stupid for buying one. And no - I won't be buying one, but I won't be forcing my opinions on others.

So cue the down-voters, who will vote me down regardless of whether my point is valid or not, because they think I'm a fanboi. To you, I say FU in advance.

WTF?

Re Cue the usual responses... #

The usual responses are right.

I don't believe people are forcing their opinions on others, just expressing their disgust.

We are supposed to be techies - not fanbois or trendy rich kids.

This week it's Ipad - but by next year it's last year's model - what use is that.

Just because it sells well does not make it good - eg The Sun is the best selling newspaper in UK.

All Apple sales prove is that are a lot of people who lead shallow cash rich lives.

Thumb Up

@AC

You should view downvotes (of which you have several) as a good sign - nobheads abound on this forum doing nothing more than blindly downvoting anyone who disagrees with their juvenile rantings consisting of statements like, "I won't buy one of these, and anyone who does is an idiot."

BTW, I'm one of your upvotes! :-)

Anonymous Coward

I trust that El Reg is not advocating tax dodging

by importing electronic equipment into the country and not declaring it for VAT purposes?

Hello?

Everyone who has a desktop, a laptop, a netbook, three consoles and a smartphone and now complains about the iPad not being "computer" enough should try and get a life. Or buy an iPad anyway, use the other crap a bit less and try to find out how many of these devices he really needs in the long run...

I mean, I will probably not get an iPad but I can fully understand the lure of a device that is exactly not another computer. There are too many computers in our lifes anyway. Some people seem to have a serious addiction going on with them, they react to the iPad like a heavy boozer to a cup of tea...

This post has been deleted by its author

Troll

Only £699

Why so low? Apple's customers are far richer and far dopier than that. I say make it an even £999 (and 99p). We all know they'd still buy it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.