back to article Dell Studio 17 touchscreen notebook

When it comes to mobile phones, tablet PCs or one of those brightly-coloured public access kiosks you find in airports and shopping centres, touchscreen displays make perfect sense. They do away with the need for a space-consuming keyboard and let the display take up the majority of the device. Dell Studio 17 Dell's Studio …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

touch screen bandwagon

What is it with companies and bandwagons at the moment?

2. buddypepper
    Thumb Up

Got one.

I've had one since about early March (Canada)....After you've used this laptop for a while, you'll find yourself poking at all other laptop screens.

As much as some might think that touchscreen laptops are a waste, at least 80% of the time, it's far faster to just tap a button on-screen than find the trackpad, move the mouse to the right spot, and click. And for web browsing, you can't beat it (scrolling, moving back / forward, changing tabs, etc).

It's an expensive beast (it is pretty beefy, especially with the extra large battery - not shown in the Reg pics), but it's a solid replacement for my desktop.

3. Dan Price
    FAIL

£1000?!

Seriously, a thousand pounds for a laptop and they don't even give you a blu-ray drive or a decent screen? Come on, guys. Even my ancient 15" Acer Travelmate 8100 can get 1680x1050, on a considerably smaller screen - with that much processing and graphics grunt, you'd think Dell would have assumed we might like to view HD content on it, especially for the kind of money they're asking.

4. Adam 60
    Thumb Up

I have one of these

I bought one of these a few months ago. I use a combination of the touchscreen, touchpad and wireless mouse to use the machine.

Under normal use I don't use the touchscreen too often, however if I'm lying on the sofa with the laptop resting elevated on my legs, the touchscreen is great for scrolling documents or websites where reaching for the pad or mouse can be uncomfortable.

The touch pad is also really nice. It supports multitouch as well and comes with software pre-installed for mutlitouch gestures and other fancy bits, which I have come to learn are not standard features on Windows laptops (but are on Macs).

I do gaming and while I haven't thrown anything heavy at it, it runs Eve Online, Warhammer Online and Left 4 Dead flawlessly.

My old desktop hasn't been booted up in months.

5. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Phew.

You don't get an idea about the size of this monster until you get to the pictures of the touchscreen being used. I'm certain that because of just the size, this system will never appear on my laptop replacement shortlist. I guess I should have guessed, it having a 17" screen, but if it is so wide, why have they not made space for the missing keys!

6. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Thumb Down

Glossy screen

eewww....

7. Richard 12 Silver badge

No right-click?

Abject fail.

Every single application I use makes extensive use of the context menu. So a lack of right-click immediately means that I can't use this unit.

Windows 'style guides' have long suggested that the context menu be used a lot - and it is.

1. Fuzz

Still has right click

The laptop has a right click button on the trackpad like any other. It's missing the context menu key from the keyboard (the one next to the right start button on a standard keyboard)

It's not as big a loss but it's still a key I use.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well...

You don't have to use the BIOS to switch the Function key behaviour. Win + X and use mobility centre - the Dell Quickset plugins let you change it there.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like