back to article Opera betas 10.5 for Linux and FreeBSD

Opera has released a beta of its latest desktop browser for Linux and FreeBSD. Opera 10.53 beta for Linux and FreeBSD is the first Unix beta of Evenes, the browser built atop the company's new Carakan JavaScript engine. "If you've been waiting [for] Opera 10.5 to stabilize before trying it on your Linux or FreeBSD system, now is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Up

+1

Opera has also changed its end-user licensing agreement as "part of an effort from Opera to make it easier to distribute [the browser] in the package repositories of various open source operating systems."

Very nice, thanks!

Anonymous Coward

who cares

I know I dont

Anonymous Coward

Cross platform

So they've just thrown out the cross-platform Qt toolkit and now they're finding it hard to maintain a Solaris port? Hmmm...

I'd drop Solaris to

Looks like OpenSolaris is withering on the vine and Solaris proper is no longer free to download and use (90-day eval/trial only). Unless you're making money selling it I can't imagine why anyone would go out of their way to support Solaris (case in point beanstalkd, it's supported but not well, and nobody seems to complain so I guess that's your answer).

Silver badge
Happy

RE: I'd drop Solaris to (sic)

Whilst I do enjoy beating up on the Sunshiners, in this case the reality is the vast majority of them won't even notice Opera's slight. After all, they've had a much better option in Firefox for years.

Thumb Up

H.264 HTML4 Video on Linux Opera 10.5 too

Courtesy of the h.264 support in GStreamer Linux libs...

Silver badge
FAIL

The day I install Opera

will be the day they release the Source Code.

Happy

Was it really necessary...

... to verbify "beta"?

Thumb Up

About flipping time!

I have used Opera 10.50 on Windoze ages ago and was most annoyed that the Linux version has been so long in catching up. Using Linux as my main OS it was annoying to have to put up with 10.10 which is crap in comparison.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums