Feeds

back to article Nokia asks ever so nicely for return of missing prototype

A Russian website famous for for getting its mitts on re-production versions of mobile phones has stolen some of Nokia's N8 launch day thunder. Making its debut today, the N8 is the first mobile phone anywhere built on the Symbian S3 platform - and it's very big news for Nokia. But Russian blogger Eldar Murtazin had already …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Hmm...

This sounds like a deliberate attempt by Nokia to recreate the lost Apple iPhone scenario to generate more publicity for Nokia. 'We'd like our phone back please'. Where did we hear that before... But they don't seem to be trying very hard to get it do they?

Anonymous Coward

Obviously this is a transparent act of leaking

in an attempt to gain some publicity for a platform that has been around long enough now that it's become part of the furniture

Gold badge
Thumb Up

That almost sounds...civilised.

Nokia just gained some respect with this. I will have to give them honest consideration for my next mobile purchase.

Err, about that polite response...

If the blogger were not in Russia, but instead lived in (and posted the blog from) Scandinavia, would Nokia's response have retained its politeness?

I'm thinking that without the obstacles of jurisdiction and international relations, Nokia would have likely been far less polite than they are obviously forced to be.

Pint

Hmmm

I wonder how many more companies are going to try to emulate Lord Jobs' recent PR coup, by pretending to accidently on-purposely lose a beta version of their new shiny device?

Come on Nokia, we weren't born yesterday! While I realise there are planks working at all levels of most corps, seems a little too much of a coincidence that you lose a prototype in the same week that Jobs' does too, eh?

(Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Hmmm

The scenario that you and some others are painting in effect - namely that Nokia leaked an early prototype to a Russian site to trash-talk its new smartphone OS, in a PR stunt to counter Apple - well now you mention it, that must indeed what it is up to.

Thumb Up

Nicely put!!!

We know where those stones were aimed! Well said Nokia

Except that...

All Apple did in the Gizmodo case is send a polite letter asking for its phone back. That's despite the folks who think Apple controls the local police department, but don't stop to think how Apple could possibly benefit from a heavy-handed police response. Keep those knees jerking, but watch out for Occam's razor.

Welcome

"alpha" launch

More than the PR, IF it was a purposeful leak, the feedback provides them with some pre-launch feedback to polish things up.

Stop the scrumping...Apples aren't in season, just up the ass of every fanboi. These people, who relate everything in the world that happens to one company that claims to be innovative...Didn't you know he invented the dance and everyone just copies him???

Anonymous Coward

Ah...

So it's am early prototype, that's why its firmware is buggy... Unlike my N97... Oh.

Maybe they're doing it the right way around this time

The prototype demos for the N97 showed a slick, polished and usable device.

What we ended up with was, well, let's be charitable, lacklustre and disappointing.

Maybe this time as the prototype is rubbish the finished phone will be good.

Of course, it's just possible that the finished product will only be suitable for propping up that wobbly table, too.

Coat

For what it's worth

At least developing for Symbian isn't as restrictive as developing for the jesusphone

troll costume, outta here.

Gold badge

Open source

So what languages other than C++ can you use to program Symbian apps?

I would imagine that even using some Flash to App converter would still end up with either C++ or native ARM code.

Symbian will be less restrictive given the OS is open source!

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Open Source

At least it is a widely used language with C++, and not some Smalltalk wannabe like Objective-C.

Silver badge

Sublime and Immaculate ...... a Sticky Sweet Combination for Perfect Conceptions in Quantum Fields

"A whiff of a hint of a sub-text, possibly?" ...... Drew Cullen

Most definitely probably too, Drew. The communications game/business is always spooky and always about staying way ahead of contemporaries and petty competition, in order to groom leaderships into positions for power and control. And that was a very civilised response from "Doug".

So beautifully typical of the Scandinavians to be so innovatively progressive ...... http://tinyurl.com/2v2zetx

Anonymous Coward

@amanfrommars

Wow thanks for the map of Scandinavia.

Was that in case our geographically challenged cousins think it's Finland, South Carolina?

Bronze badge
Coat

I wonder

If Nokia told the guy who lost the phone whether his career was Finnished?

This topic is closed for new posts.