Feeds

back to article Netherlands raises €2.7m on 2.6GHz

The Netherlands has raised just over €2.7m selling off its LTE-ready spectrum - a derisory sum, and no one seems to want WiMAX at all. The auction has been running since Monday, and finished up with five companies buying FDD spectrum ideally suited to LTE deployments. Incumbents KPN, Vodafone and T-Mobile got 50MHz between them …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Gold badge

the big problem

the big problem with something like 2.6ghz spectrum is the frequency. Higher frequency broadcasts have lower range and less in-building penetration than lower frequency broadcasts. just like how 1800 & 1900mhz systems need more cell sites than 850 and 900, 2600mhz systems will need even more. That's expensive! If they had something like the 700mhz spectrum they auctioned here in the States, they could use existing 900mhz sites and get even better coverage, instead of having to build a bunch of new ones. of course this really makes little difference in some cities, where there would probably have to be excess sites for capacity rather than coverage anyway, but to cover a whole country? Ouch.

Gold badge
Coat

3G

The article forgets to say that the telcos are also still smarting from over bidding for the 3G spectrum. They are unlikely to make the same mistake again! (only banks seem to do that!)

WTF?

The price paid for 3G was

100% insane. AFAIK there was no minimum bid (though I know next to nothing about the process), I just can't understand why they all bid so much.

Paris Hilton

Dutch auction not a Dutch auction

I see what you did there :/

This topic is closed for new posts.