back to article HP Networking emerges

HP has announced a new HP Networking brand, under it which it will offer an edge-to-core set of sub-brands: the A Series; E Series; V Series; and S Series products. The ProCurve and 3Com brands will go away. In a webcast today, HP EVP and general manager for enterprise servers, storage and networking David Donatelli said that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Sounds like a good time to buy Cisco...

Unless of course you're Matt B.

Seriously though. Why would they kill off the 3Com name? Brand power is key. Even if HP owns 3com, no one's ever seen a HP switch in the wild. It'd also make it look less like you're buying into vendor lock in.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

David Donatelli

Wasn't Donatelli with the Teenage Mutant Turtles or something? Pizza lover etc.

And Paris gets my vote (yes that is my voting member you can see).

3. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge
    Coat

Hee hee hee.

Cisco facing real competition. I love it. Maybe now we'll see the first real innovation in networking since Gig-E ports were commoditised. Where are my consumer and SME sub-$1000 16-port 10-Gig-E switches (with backplanes to handle the load?)

Time to kick Gig-E to the curb, get 40Gig ports to sub-$250 a port and I want to see 100-Gig ports in the sub $1000/port range before I die, thankyouverymuch.

Yes, yes...getting my coat.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

It still won;t help them grow their market share by any great amount. A larger sales channel doesn't equal more sales. Not many enterprises look to HP for networking; even for small sites. 3COM burned a lot of bridges when they decided to exit the market only to reenter it a little while later. For now, all of the hardware is kludged together and different classes will have a different looks and feel, not to mention capabilities.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like