Sony has roadmapped two key PlayStation 3 firmware updates that will bring stereoscopic 3D functionality to the games console. Why it takes two updates isn't clear, but that's how many Sony plans to release. The first will be pushed out before June to allow the consoles to play stereoscopic 3D games - for which you'll need a …
It needs 2 updates because..
the tech behind 3D gaming and 3D Blu-Ray is very different. I would have hoped a tech site would have understood that.
It's also been mentioned the PS3 HDMI implementation is being updated to support 3D, incorporating most aspects of HDMI 1.4 (all but the Ethernet support), as the HDMI chipset in the PS3 is much more firmware/software based than your average BD Disc player's HDMI chipset..
It needs two updates because...
...one for each eye?
...one to add it, the other to remove the ability to play music files 'for security reasons'?
...they thought they'd accidentally left some consumer rights in the EULA in the first update, and hope to remove them all in the second?
- Xmas Round-up Ghosts of Christmas Past: Ten tech treats from yesteryear
- Analysis Microsoft's licence riddles give Linux and pals a free ride to virtual domination
- Review Hey Linux newbie: If you've never had a taste, try perfect Petra ... mmm, smells like Mint 16
- Special Report How Britain could have invented the iPhone: And how the Quangocracy cocked it up
- Massive! Yahoo! Mail! outage! going! on! FOURTH! straight! day!