back to article Steve Jobs: 'Pad? That's my word'

The latest off-the-cuff email from Steve Jobs has injected another soupçon of silliness into the ongoing kerfuffle over the iPad's name - and in doing so, it has further established the CEO of the Decade's reputation for imperious disregard for the developers who have contributed mightily to his company's success. Jobs' most …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Down

Jobs!

What a wanker

Troll

Re: Jobs!

Hmmm, 22 upvotes and 0 downvotes as of 0615 GMT

One can only assume from this that the reactionary jobs-cult commentards are late risers.

Either that or they are all still busy foofing their hair/practising an air of superiority/applying instant-run mascara.

JWS
Thumb Down

Agreed

Here, here. Cock.

Pint

Jobs!

Have read all of the above comments and really the first post sums him up quite nicely...

A Beer for the OP

FAIL

That would be...

... "Hear hear!"

Cock!

Anonymous Coward

Apple's relationship with developers

Don't forget there's a 100 million iPhone OS devices out there, and customers are two finger taps away from buying your apps.

When Jobs says 'jump' you say 'how high?'

Jobs Horns

The thing about that

is that while there are 100 million apps for the iPhone out there, every iPhone user already has both of the useful ones...

Bronze badge

But it's quality that counts...

There will always be thousands of companies out there that will produce apps for the iPhone, while it remains viable, but if you start to annoy the top developers - the ones with the big budgets and the high quality software teams then you are left with a bunch of script-kiddies and ... yes .. flatulence apps.

What percentage of developers make truly stunning apps? These are the ones that musn't get annoyed. If their focus starts to shift to other platforms then it will not be good to start receiving second hand apps six months after other platforms have got them, if at all.

Jobs Horns

History repeats

This happened with Nintendo in the early 90s.

They were difficult with ISVs but they played ball cause they had to.

Then the Playstation showed up and a lot of studios jumped ship as soon as they could.

A lot of awesome games wound up on the PSX and the '64 came in distant second. It only got worse with the 'Cube and it took until the Wii in '06 to really rebound.

That's a *full decade* as distant second.

I doubt any of the current crop will be the ones to give Apple the kick in the rear they need, but just wait.

Silver badge
FAIL

I predict a double whammy

With the current trend of Jobsism, I can predict that this attitude will lead to a never before seen scenario, something I'll call the "Atari/Nintendo crash". Everyone knows about the Videogame Crash of 1983/84, and how Nintendo got the gaming companies to flock en masse to the PSX. Jobs will bring BOTH things to Apple:

- Pissing off the developers over idiotic stuff will not bring any friends to Apple. If they manage to piss off the big devs (the ones doing the good apps), they will leave en masse to either the Blackberry appworld, or the growing Android platform. I wish they went to Palm, but it doesn't seem to be so appealing right now. Anyway, this would be the "Playstation" effect.

- The remaining devs will be either the Jobs fanbois, or the lazy iFart suckers that churn a lot of useless apps. These guys will saturate the AppStore such that it will reach critical mass, and people will just stop buying apps. This happened with all the Atari crap games on clearance, triggering the Crash.

Eventually, the well will go dry, and the whole "... there's an app for that!" marketing campaign will backfire, as the "selling point" will no longer be valid. Users with lapsing contracts will switch to Android or Blackberry, and the fall of the almighty iPhone will be complete.

Sadly, this seems to be the only way that Apple will ever understand that Jobs' attitude is hurting them.

Silver badge
Jobs Horns

Those would be-

The Android emulator and Opera Mini?

*This reply only for padding *

/Gets coat and pads away. Pad pad pad pad...

Silver badge

Bah!

But the quality issue was real there. I well remember the flood of cheap tat that was foisted into the marketplace by people who didn't get how the Atari market had been killed.

Not to say that some of the officially approved games weren't underdeveloped and poorly thought out or that there weren't some good ideas in the unapproved titles, just that the "Tengen" line was decidedly less stellar than those who played ball.

Jobs Horns

So?

I've had a Windows Mobile device since the mid-2000s. How many of *those* are out there? Fact is, Apple is becoming the one thing they said they weren't ever going to become.

Heart

STEVE JOBS already lost.

Radio Shack lost this one as they thought they owned the word "SHACK"

Radio shack was going after any website be it commercail or personal if they had the word Shack either as a TITLE or HEADING on their website.

Well we all know what happened yes? Don't remember?

RADIO SHACK LOST!

For a short time people reveling that they won against Radio shack put up

titles in their HTML document:

LISA'S SHACK

WEL COME TO BOB'S SHACK OF HORRORS

SHACK OF DELIGHTS

etc, etc, etc, etc, yadda yadda yadda.

So now again we will have:

WELCOME TO THE PAD OF INACHU!

Silver badge
FAIL

not quite the same though

You could walk out of radio shack and go elsewhere. If you have an iphone then you have to buy from the store. If apple suddenly decide to pull the app you like then it sucks to be you really.

This is hardly going to end well for apple. Sure in the short term they will sell but even the fanbois wont be raving about a product with no apps.

Flame

Only slightly facetious

Are Steve Jobs and Jim Gamble related (at least in their perceived Godheadedness)?

Jobs Horns

Arrogance and genius has it's price...

... it can make you turn into a giant knob-end.

Then again, I suspect that his 'Jobness' has always been an annoyingly single minded control freak.

... so long as he's happy with his small willy, that's all that counts ... ;)

Jobs Horns

I don't get the genius bit...

I mean he's not the engineer behind any of these svelte bits of electronic wonderment. He's not the lead marketeer who- every time a new product comes out- restricts supply so he can say "they sold out on launch day". He's just a twunt in a turtleneck.

In that case ...

... isn't Apple itself a trademark infringment on a more famous Apple company?

Yes but..

There is that non-compete agreement. one apple wont make computers/consumer electronics. the other shall not open a music studio.

P.S. please ignore my clumsy pressing of enter above.

which

more famous company would that be then?

Silver badge
Happy

Er,

Apricot?

FAIL

Bible study app? Tens of thousands of dollars?

"The dev, Chris Ostmo, tells 9to5Mac that he sent an email to Jobs noting that his company had spent "tens of thousands of dollars" marketing its apps and that changing the apps' names would require him "to spend to spend tens of thousands of dollars more to market new names."

Tens of thousands of dollars marketing a bible study app?

In this modern, less superstitious age, there are probably less than ten thousand people that believe in that crap!

He's already wasted his money on advertising, that's for sure!

Anonymous Coward

Wrong

Try not to insult those of us with the common sense not to dismiss an ancient text that is repeatedly backed up by archealogical evidence.

J 3
Joke

Oops...

You forgot the joke icon there, AC... Here, I'll put it for you.

The Bible???

Backed up by nothing you mean.

There's evidence enough in the ground to prove the Bible is nothing more than the sort of stuff goat-herders knew a couple of thousand years ago.

They knew how to herd animals and so on, I'm sure. But they thought the world started just before their grandfather was born. They liked to sacrifice things all the time...

Happy

Oh, and to help quantify my previous post,

I do believe in God. I just have trouble with man-made organised structures that get setup around Him.

Happy

I found this to be pretty funny, on the subject of relevance

From http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2010/03/an-open-letter-to-dr-laura-schlesinger.html

Time for a change of pace. This came via e-mail from Marshall Auerback:

In her radio show, Dr. Laura Schlesinger (a popular conservative radio talk show host in the USA) said that homosexuality is an abomination according to the Bible Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura, and was attributed to a James M. Kauffman, Ed. D.

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination… end of

debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God’s Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual unseemliness – Lev. 15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord – Lev. 1:9. The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination – Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this? Are there ‘degrees’ of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really

necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev. 24:10-16. Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan,

James M. Kauffman, Ed. D.

Professor Emeritus Dept. of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education

University of Virginia

Silver badge

"backed up by archealogical evidence"

...while neatly sidestepping the archealogical evidence showing that Darwin was on a much better track than "God made us, end of".

Don't try to bring any form of science into religious discussion, that's Epic Fail territory.

Joke

@heyrick

Amen!

It's a great letter...

that only comes 10 years after it was done on the West Wing, almost word for word in some places

http://www.tv.com/the-west-wing/the-midterms/episode/3388/trivia.html?tag=cast_summary;trivia#quotes

Jobs Horns

America - land of the free [of thought]

I suspect any US city with more than 11000 people has > 10,000 Christians in it.

Despite their Saviour's poverty and ideas that rich men cant get into heaven, wealth flies around American Christian groups (as long as they dont let too many minorities join their churches).

There is, I suspect, an almost bottomless market for fleecing those who are inclined to belive in non-existent things. I just hate myself for not knowing how to properly take advantage of them. Unlike the developer of the Bible Study [cr]APP.

Megaphone

Evidence

"Try not to insult those of us with the common sense not to dismiss an ancient text that is repeatedly backed up by archealogical evidence."

Hahahaha. Hahahaha. Hahahahah. Hahahaha. Hahahaha (x 1million).

There is more evidence of Odin.

Joke

'Ark the (triumph) herald angels sing

Really, I didn't know turkey was allowing people to explore Mt Ararat, when did they find the remains of the ark?

or for that matter, Adam & Eve's Plymouth Fury: " God drove Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden in a Fury"

Have they identified if Moses and Joshua had cars or motorbikes? "The roar of Moses' Triumph is heard in the hills" and "Joshua's Triumph was heard throughout the city".

The Apostles seem to have done their bit to save the enviorement and car polled however cramped it may have been for them "The Apostles were in one Accord."

No doubt they used it to get an ice-cream from the Walls of Jericho.

Pint

@EXAFLOPS'R'US, Gordon is Not a Moron.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/drlaura.asp

PS: GiNaM - cool name, takes me back. Still remember the jukebox number for that track in my old local - 3106.

Jobs Horns

"in whole or in part"

Hrm... can I try that... I claim all the vowels (plus y for good measure)... El rEg alone gives me two to go after, but thE rEgIstEr gives me a further 4... could be good money.

Say, erm 2p per usage per page on the site?

(Yes, yes I know you cant do things like that, but it sounds good doesnt it).

AC cuz I'm at work.

Boffin

Re "in whole or in part"

Mr. Jobs appears to demand that developers use one of their trademarks "in part". APP is part of APPLE after all

Silver badge

Let me announce the easyPad

I'm not sure what it will do, but I will be attacked by Stelios and Jobs, both of who assume that they own common English words.

Gold badge
Coat

Too short

I mean, I applaud the concept (Stelios was also my first thought when I read the article), but I think it needs more, umm, padding? *cough*

I've almost arrived at a point where I'd set up a website listing all the non-Apple iPads, just to piss off Jobs. I know it's childish, but that (a) has never stopped me (grin) and (b) is a reaction to the way Jobs behaves.

I use Apple kit because it happens to work for me, but there is no chance in hell I'll ever become a zealot and appreciate this sort of control freakery. As a matter of fact, it does the opposite. Every time he does stupid stuff like this I end up evaluating if I really want to be associated with the turtle neck equivalent of Scientology.

Mine's the one with the lawsuits, thanks.

Silver badge

Sounds like a good name

for an incontinence product

Thumb Up

Oooh, yes, you could call your site

"Buy your iPad here"

And have links.

FAIL

whatever..

Their fucking problem. They know all too well why they chose the iPhone platform, and knew the idiocy of Apple and their god.

Don't go there in the first place.

IR

Notepad

That is all.

Silver badge

Ditto

Bill clearly owns the iPad trademark.

"Stephen P. Jobs"

Does the P stand for Pad?

Happy

"Does the P stand for Pad?"

No, it stands for 'Pendejo'

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pendejo

note: and not the Peruvian definition

Jobs Horns

It's that "in part" that gets ya.

Obviously, "Journal.APP" will have to be renamed again, because it starts with "APP", which is the first three letters of "Apple."

Also infringing: "McIntosh apple" (the apple) for obvious reasons, "Notepad.exe" for using "pad" in the name, NASA for using a launch "pad", and we can't forget each and every keyboard manufacturer, for allowing people to type the words "iPad", "iPhone", or "Apple" without sending money to Apple.

Probably should post this anonymous, because the iLawyers will probably iSue me... ah well.

Silver badge
Coat

The great renaming

Can't sell eyepads any longer, then.

Not to mention women's pads.

And all this due to some guy trying to pad his pockets.

Gold badge
Jobs Horns

Oh, yes please

I would really love to be a fly on the wall in Jobs' office when some women's pad supplier calls them iPads.

Time for a new edit of Downfall on Youtube? :-)

Anonymous Coward

Does her own?

Kotex pads and related products, incontinence pads or what about Thinkpad? I bet Lenevo would have something to say re Thinkpad. Will he tell them to change their name?

Pint

Ohmigawd

I'd better watch out, I've got THREE Thinkpads. And the oldest one is an i1200 - **i**1200, geddit?

Come to that, 'Thinkpad' has an 'i' in it too, in fact it contains the word 'ipad'! What phrase did his Jobsiness use, 'in whole or in part'? Does this mean Lenovo OWNS Apple's ass?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums