back to article Mozilla betas Flash flak jacket with 'Lorentz'

Mozilla has released a public beta of Firefox "Lorentz," a test version of Firefox 3.6 designed to minimize crashes by running Flash, Silverlight, Java, and other plug-ins as processes separate from the core browser. The open sourcers call these "out of process plug-ins," or OOPP, and they're also under test with the developer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

why dont they just automate the crash report

flash done it. EOS.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Yay

It even looks like the screen that Chrome gives in similar circumstances- which makes things less confusing, I suppose.

In any case, it's a good move, and always nice to see browsers pinching the *good* ideas from each other- to make things better for the userbase. Jolly good show, hurumble! (etc.)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Documentation

Can someone post a link to documentation ?

If this is supposed to improve security I would like to know whether the plugins are running in a proper sandbox so that they cannot read or write something they are not supposed to do.

Good idea, it seems, so far.

1. Nick Stallman
      FAIL

Uh...

Um the article didnt mention security at all. Its only crash protection.

4. Fat Jez

also available on OSX

as title.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

FF 3.6.3 Issues

I would like to complain here that FF 3.6.3 on VISTA sometimes has pretty strange behaviour. First, it takes a lot of time to start up, and then I even managed to LOCK UP my VISTA laptop after looking at a DivX video embedded into a webpage. (Also fiddled with the cookie flusher at that time)

Now I know that DivX is crap, but I certainly should have a chance to launch the Task Manager in order to kill FF !

The power button is in my opinion not part of the Task Manager....

@Mozilla: Could you please look into this and publish a fix soon ? Thank you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe try this

If it's locking up the whole OS, I'll betcha it's your video driver, or perhaps some memory/bus timing settings in your BIOS. Might even be a bad cap on your vid card or motherboard. Just my two cents-- it's entirely possible I'm wrong. ;-)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Maybe try this

I don't know what it was, but I never had such trouble before. It seems to me that FF and/or DivX do something really weird. A friend of mine told me of something similar with FF.

The issue with slow startups of FF is new with 3.6.3. Mozilla should really look into this and publish a fix for it in 3.6.4 quickly.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like