Feeds

back to article IT pay is up for temps and perms

Recruitment agencies in the UK have seen the fastest rise in job placements this month at any time in the last 12 years. Recruitment firms, admittedly a somewhat optimistic group, claim the strongest growth in permanent positions since October 1997. Recruiters are also seeing more demand for temporary staff. Salaries for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
WTF?

Public Sector IT pay up?

It certainly isn't where I work. Pay was frozen for us last year, is frozen for the next 2 years, with market supplements being reviewed. Given the state of the private sector, I'd bet that "reviewed" means "removed" so I'll be 6% worse off a year - that doesn't take inflation into account over the 3 year period either.

Thumb Down

Don't think so

I left my last contract (public sector) in March last year and took 9 months to find a new contract (private sector) - my rate went down by almost 50% - and I have both many years experience and a set of relevant qualifications. 2 Months into my new contract all contractors on site were asked to take a 10% rate cut - so I haven't seen this upturn in rates.

Anonymous Coward

AC above who had a 10% discount

remember that a negotiation to have a rate cut effectively means that you are no longer within IR35 because it fails the "act like an employee" clause. Employees cannot have enforced pay cuts. So, as a contractor, it is sometimes not a bad idea to accept a rate cut every now and then (whilst looking for a new role) because it gets you out of IR35 and could potentially save 1000's.

If you decide to not take up the offer of a cut; then you also fall outside IR35 because you negotiated but did not agree, a la Mutuality of Obligation.

FAIL

Titles cost money don't you know!

Exactly what planet is the author of this article living on?

I work for a very large IT (rhymes with He-Mans) company and we're in the middle of suffering two rounds of redundancies and a year-long pay freeze! This alongside the company proudly announcing that they are spending over 500 millions euros on securing "outsourcing technologies" and "remarkable increases in first quarter revenues 2010".

Get a grip! The IT industry has seen a chance to maximise profits and bonuses and are going for it with every ounce of energy they can muster!

g e
Silver badge

1997? Ring a bell?

The last change of government in the UK...

Coincidence or indicator?

Pirate

I haven't Seen it

As a consultant working at a large blue chip teleco, I've seen over 10000 contractors axed in a year and an enforced minimum 15% rate drop (some got 30%). Plenty of Indian expats still about.

Also my chosen tech which is a bit obscure hasn't broken the 2 pages of jobs on jobserve for over 18 months. Thus retraining in progress.

Anonymous Coward

The public sector recession which clearly is on the cards hasn't hit the jobs market yet... REALLY?

I'm working in the public sector (6th form college), and I pay rise is frozen for the next 3 years. Also if someone leaves a department, they will not looking for a replacement. Instead the rest of the team has to share his/her job.

I wonder who wrote this article, because it seems he/she doesn't live among us.

I would like to see when the bankers bonuses will be slashed to make up for the deficit they've caused for the UK economy.

Ta-taa

This post has been deleted by its author

Yes right...

Yeah right when was this 'research' done then? There hasn't been any public sector recruiting of significance in the last 3 months.....Lot and lots of banking jobs though....Rates are plummeting on a weekly basis...

I would love to see where they get their info from...

This topic is closed for new posts.