Supercomputer maker Cray has managed to get the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder, Colorado, to take delivery of a Cray XT5m minisuper, getting its foot back in the door of a facility that helped put Cray on the map. In 1976 NCAR took delivery of the very first Cray-1A vector super designed by Seymour …
Anyone for my old...
IBM 386SX box? Might have a co-processor knocking about...
For increased accuracy...
...junk all the hardware and put up a poster bearing the legend: "Tomorrow's weather will be much the same as today's"
With a development machine perhaps they could try building a model that gave 7 day accuracy at least.
Even if it took 9 days to run
It could *always* be made faster.
Mine's the one with "Premature optimisation is the root of nearly all evil" on the back.
What... like, Buy One Get Two Free, from Lidl?
Because just what we need...
...is even more computing power behind today's iffy-at-best weather forecasts. Soon, we may be able to predict the temperature of vanilla pudding at ten o'clock in Greenwich, England, on the twelfth of May, 1976 - er, I mean ... something like that.
Where is the AGW angle?
Surprise! No reaction from the AGW deniers yet!
Yes, I AM trolling for trolls.
The be-all and end-all of AGW posts.
What does weather prediction have to do with global warming?
Nothing that I can tell.
Here goes anyway:
This crazy <INSERT LOCAL WEATHER ANOMALY THAT ISN'T REALLY ANOMALOUS> is definitive proof of Anthropogenic Global Warming.
And the reverse:
AGW is a complete crock as evidenced by this crazy <INSERT LOCAL WEATHER ANOMALY THAT ISN'T REALLY ANOMALOUS>.
- 'Kim Kardashian snaps naked selfies with a BLACKBERRY'. *Twitterati gasps*
- Pics Facebook's Oculus unveils 360-degree VR head tracking 'Crescent Bay' prototype
- Crawling from the Wreckage THE DEATH OF ECONOMICS: Aircraft design vs flat-lining financial models
- Analysis Apple's warrant canary riddle: Cock-up, conspiracy, or anti-Google point-scoring
- Bargain basement iPhone shoppers BEWARE! eBay exposes users to phishing vuln