back to article US weather meisters buy mini Cray

Supercomputer maker Cray has managed to get the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder, Colorado, to take delivery of a Cray XT5m minisuper, getting its foot back in the door of a facility that helped put Cray on the map. In 1976 NCAR took delivery of the very first Cray-1A vector super designed by Seymour …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Joke

Anyone for my old...

IBM 386SX box? Might have a co-processor knocking about...

Anonymous Coward

For increased accuracy...

...junk all the hardware and put up a poster bearing the legend: "Tomorrow's weather will be much the same as today's"

Gold badge
Coat

who knows

With a development machine perhaps they could try building a model that gave 7 day accuracy at least.

Even if it took 9 days to run

It could *always* be made faster.

Mine's the one with "Premature optimisation is the root of nearly all evil" on the back.

Anonymous Coward

Dumping Supercomputers?

What... like, Buy One Get Two Free, from Lidl?

Pint

Because just what we need...

...is even more computing power behind today's iffy-at-best weather forecasts. Soon, we may be able to predict the temperature of vanilla pudding at ten o'clock in Greenwich, England, on the twelfth of May, 1976 - er, I mean ... something like that.

Bronze badge

Where is the AGW angle?

Surprise! No reaction from the AGW deniers yet!

Yes, I AM trolling for trolls.

Coat

The be-all and end-all of AGW posts.

What does weather prediction have to do with global warming?

Nothing that I can tell.

Here goes anyway:

This crazy <INSERT LOCAL WEATHER ANOMALY THAT ISN'T REALLY ANOMALOUS> is definitive proof of Anthropogenic Global Warming.

And the reverse:

AGW is a complete crock as evidenced by this crazy <INSERT LOCAL WEATHER ANOMALY THAT ISN'T REALLY ANOMALOUS>.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums