Feeds

back to article Don’t muck about with piecemeal unified comms

When it comes to putting together an outline of what unified communications (UC) should look like in a business, a partial, step-by-step approach will probably seem more appealing. After all, a staged implementation suggests a lower risk and a lower capital outlay, and can be built up and out over time. For example, a company …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Is FreeformDynamics for real?

"Has your business deployed UC?"

Yep. See: http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/732584

"If so, what challenges did you face when scoping the implementation"

The usual ... mostly, implementing user issues in hardware (there is no such thing as software ... software is merely the current state of the hardware.)

"and, more importantly, how did you overcome them?"

Ultimately, we didn't. Twice. The concept is daft to the core ... People aren't built to use more than one tool at a time. And most aren't trainable to use more than a couple tools, total, day to day and week to week.

"If you are on the threshold of UC planning, what is the minimum set of components you envisage implementing"

As a consultant, on the rare occasion that a company brings me in to try to implement this concept, the first thing I do is get the management who thinks it's a good idea fired. The phones work, the video system works (if necessary, as needed, usually never in the real world), and the data system works. The folks who need to know how the various bits work to do their jobs just use the bits they need. Why try to make it more complex?

"and what is your strategy moving forward."

To carry on doing what I do ... basically, making money telling people that shit stinks, and demonstrating that people who shit inappropriately and/or in inappropriate places should be replaced by people who don't stink the joint up.

Gold badge
Welcome

sounds as nasty as an ERP implementation

But I *suspect* the benefits are more difficult to quantify.

Who has seen successful UC implementations in the wild?

This topic is closed for new posts.