NASA has announced that it will extend its contract with Computer Sciences Corporation to provide "supercomputing support services" at the Ames Research Centre in California. The Ames Centre is home to NASA's Advanced Supercomputing Division, which ranks high in the HPC league tables. The Division's "Pleiades" cluster, boasting …
Not announced today
. . . and host NASA's own larger, faster copy of EVE Online
57 million for 1 year support on 56 thousand cores is $1000/(core-year) for support. Seems a little steep if support doesn't involve replacing a lot of hardware or paying the electricity bill.
$1,000 per core, per year for support. So I guess that means the machine cost a billion dollars if you use typical support cost of 20% of purchase price?
$156,000 per DAY for support. Hard to imagine.
- 'Kim Kardashian snaps naked selfies with a BLACKBERRY'. *Twitterati gasps*
- Pics Facebook's Oculus unveils 360-degree VR head tracking 'Crescent Bay' prototype
- Analysis Apple's warrant canary riddle: Cock-up, conspiracy, or anti-Google point-scoring
- Crawling from the Wreckage THE DEATH OF ECONOMICS: Aircraft design vs flat-lining financial models
- Bargain basement iPhone shoppers BEWARE! eBay exposes users to phishing vuln