back to article Legal high fire sale starts now

Websites selling mephedrone are already offering the substance for half its previous price, thanks to an imminent ban announced by Home Secretary Alan Johnson yesterday. Sites are offering a gram for £4.50 rather than the usual £10. Prices per kilo have also fallen from £4,000 to nearer £2,000. Johnson said: “I am determined …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Michael Fremlins

Shut up, Johnson.

You just want to stop people enjoying themselves. Shove your determination where the sun doesn't shine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

<title/>

"Shove your determination where the sun doesn't shine."

That'd be London then?

2. The Original Ash
    FAIL

LONG LIVE

PROHIBITION!

Seriously, all this will do is turn the distribution underground.

You've done SO WELL with cocaine, heroin, cannabis, LSD, magic mushrooms, methamphetamine, MDMA, and all of the other controlled narcotics, after all.

1. Haku
      Coat

Obligatory Bill Hicks quote:

"There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it."

(mine's the one with the secret stash pocket)

3. SuperTim

Outrageous!

What am i going to feed my plants now? My cannabis* will be as limp and lifeless as Cheryl Cole's hair before she washes it.

Bleedin' government do-gooders!

And I havent heard from Uncle Pablo for years. I am beginning to think i wont be getting any more "Colombian Hospitality" Packages from him.

* I wish to inform any law enforcement officers that the word cannabis in this instant is a catch-all word for any plant not of narcotic use, and that it explicity excludes any illegal plant.... Now get back to work.

4. Richard 39
    FAIL

oh FFS

So let me get this straight.

A couple of kids doing what kids do have the misfortune of ending up dead from a dodgy batch of legal drugs. The press jump on it with their usual ravenous dog attitude and government passes a law within weeks of it happening claiming that it can kill so ban it, supported by the usual dodgy research.

So shall we apply this twattery to something else, oh like smoking or alcohol? no of course not, theres tax to be made from them!!

Is anyone else aghast at how 'knee jerk' this whole saga is?

Shame they haven't pushed through all the expenses and cash for honors corruption as quickly as this.

The sooner we get these self centred, personal agenda pushing, media pandering scum out of power the better

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: oh FFS

It wasn't a dodgy batch - they washed it down with methadone. But I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.

1. Richard 39

RE:Re: oh FFS

mephedrone & methadone, whats the difference? (I'm a law abiding citizen don't you know so I have no clue about this stuff)

Re: RE:Re: oh FFS

Someone else can explain more fully, but

- Methadone is a heroin substitute prescribed for addicts (not always successfully as it's quite addictive itself). It's a synthetic opiate. It isn't illegal to prescribe although there is inevitably a black market.

- Mephedrone is a cathinone, derived from khat. All the cathinones (including methylone, for extra confusion) are soon to be illegal. It's not illegal to sell right now, although it is illegal to sell for human consumption.

The names are similar, but they don't have much in common.

1. Chris Collins

Any good?

So is it any good, then? It's been my experience of illicit enjoyment that OD'ing was nature's way of strengthening the herd.

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

not to mention

our old friend alchol which sits very nicly with opiates such as methadone causing respitory depression (you stop breathing!) and on top of this they took plant food ? kinda predictable result really

3. Eddie Edwards

Heh

It has a ring to it, though, methadrone washed down with methadone. Sounds like they were playing a Scrabble-based version of Russian Roulette.

2. hplasm
      FAIL

This lot-

and the lot before them knee-jerk in such quick succession they look like they are goose-stepping...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

title

"Spice - a smokeable, synthetic cannabis"

if only someone told Muad'dib that...

1. Jason 50
      Thumb Up

LOL

Thanks for the great laugh :) I just watched the whole Dune series the last few days! (original, remastered, and Children of Dune).

"Watch out for that Spice Beer, it goes straight to the head"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

Excellent, one quick fire sale of existing stock, and then we can look forward to buying stronger but more dubious stuff for a while before the next legal substance that does much the same comes along.

FFS, the facts are plain - prohibition doesn't work. I like the idea of "ban it until we have worked out the safe-sh dose, the fag-packet warnings and how to distribute it in a reposible way", but the "war on drugs" has been lost. It was as if our government were making sword & cavalry charges against dug in mechanised infantry.

1. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge
      Coat

But we lost the 'drug war' ages ago...

http://store.theonion.com/product/drugs-win-drug-war-1998,189/

7. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

"Last year the Home Office banned BZP, GBL and Spice - a smokeable, synthetic cannabis"

With a net effect of.....bugger all. More nanny state crap. If only they would spend more time and money on actually educating people, or perhaps enabling them to have a future to look forward to so they didn't feel the need to piss their lives away doing drugs.

Same old same old.

Legalise and maintain quality, reap tax benefits that could fund rehabs and education - proabably with enough left over to spend on some road safetey and hospitals (more people die in RTA's in a day than this stuff causes in a year!).

8. irish donkey
    FAIL

Maybe if kids could get STONED in peace

They wouldn't need to explore this seriously dubious concoction.

Another win for The Daily Fail over Science.

Can I have a Daily Fail Icon please for the battle of common sense over hysteria?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Drug users are mindless sheep and they suck donkeys

"Maybe if kids could get STONED in peace They wouldn't need to explore this seriously dubious concoction."

Maybe if kids had real WORK to do instead of lounging around being pampered all their lives, they wouldn't have all that boring free time to experiment with useless amusements like recreational drugs.

Go ahead, downvote it, like the good little follow-the-leader mindless sheep that you are.

1. M Gale
        Flame

Real work?

Get your arse to Tuffnells parcel express. Preferably the Haydock depot, where they handle anything up to 30,000 consignments per night. If you can survive six months there (let alone the year and a half I managed before a bust ankle and no sick pay while working with an agency put paid to that), then you can say you know what real work is.

Otherwise, stop tapping away on that computer and pretending you know what work is. Trust me, if you had any experience of "real work", you would probably love the chance to come home and forget about the night shift courtesy of some steaming hot marijuana tea. Or maybe just a spliff.

9. andy rock

this sums it up nicely for me...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/mar/22/charlie-brooker-newspapers-dangerous-drug

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy

To get welfare benefits you have to be tested for drugs once a month, any drugs and you get no money. commit crime and get locked up. Personally I'd advocate the Thai route and simply tie dealers to a post and shoot them with a big fucking gun.

1. Glesga Snapper
      Grenade

Actually...

I'd prefer to tie *you* to a post and shoot *you* with a big fucking gun.

1. The Boffin
        Go

Re Actually...

as long as you don't fuck me with a big shooting gun.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Seen to act

The current administration feel they must be seen to act - especially given their track record of "going soft" on drugs (cannabis decriminalisation). With the forthcoming election they are trying to pre-empt the opposition from gaining capital by accusing them of being a soft touch on drugs.

This has very little to do with anything except political theatre.

It also allows Johnson a chance to get a few inches of press before he joins the Millbands, Wacky Jacky, Balls & Brown etc in the political wilderness for the next couple of decades as the public seem minded to eject them.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

What is ironic

Is that the two guys that died did not buy it from a shop but from a dodgy dealer outside the pub.

So what is banning it going to achieve

14. Rosco

Get your war on

Reminds me of that cartoon strip where two guys are talking on the phone about the war on terror.

Guy 1: "Oh my god, this war on terror is gonna rule! I can't wait until the war is over and there's no more terror"

Guy 2: "I Know! Remember when the U.S. had a drug problem and then we declared a war on drugs and now you can't buy drugs anymore? It'll be just like that!"

15. Steven Raith
    FAIL

What happens next

Some clever soul buys up 10kg of <insert soon to be illegal drug here>, cuts it with 40kg of baking soda, flour, you know, whatever's in the cupboard, sits on it for a few months till it goes proper illegal, then sells it at five times the price the online suppliers gave for the clean, uncontaminated product for their potentially dangerous, dilute product.

Basically, the Govt is actually going to contribute to deaths caused directly by the ingestion of badly cut product, and to the capital holdings of your friendly neighbourhood drug dealers supplier.

What a bunch of fucking idiots.

Steven R

1. Annihilator
      Troll

Almost

I agree with the sentiment, but I didn't realise baking soda was harmful to you?

1. The Boffin
        Go

Dangerous Baking Products

It is if 40 kg of baking soda drops on your head.

16. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!
    Thumb Down

Govt Listening to their advisors

Because the advisors said what the politicos wanted to hear, this time, it seems. Proof that conditioning works: Scientists providing support for whatever the politicos want to "prove".

17. Seanmon
    Flame

Oh, good job.

Nice one Mr Johnson. There's now not a 17-year-old in Britain doesn't know about this stuff and isn't making their way to an internet cafe with switch card in hand. You know, had you left it alone, it might possibly have faded away as today's silly young tw*ts become tomorrow's adults. But no, you had to publicise it didn't you? As well as giving it the added kudos of being illegal and rebellious and dangerous. You realise of course, that you will now NEVER get rid of it, will NEVER be able to impose any sort of regulation or quality control - making it far more dangerous than it ever is at present - and will be obliged to waste police time and effort until the end of time tracking down backstreet producers?

Bravo sir. With a single statement, you've introduced a brand new and far more dangerous drug into youth culture at the expense of pleasing a few hysterical voters. Have you ever considered a career in marketing?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Boo-frickidy-hoo!

Oh no! I can't legally *sniffle* get out of my stupid brainless head any more *whine*. I can no longer legally take risks *whinge* with my mental and physical health *pout* and the well-being of those around me *cry*, all for the sake of a few hours of dubious 'fun'.

Grow the fuck up......

Re: Boo-frickidy-hoo!

Thanks for that, AC, but could you explain how the well-being of those around you would be compromised at all by your ingestion of dubious substances?

Incidentally, I had to laugh at this the other week

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/andrewmcfbrown/100028413/why-are-people-taking-plant-fertiliser-for-fun-inside-the-murky-world-of-legal-highs/

'Why are people taking plant fertiliser for fun?'

Er... for fun. (And it's not plant fertiliser.) The same reason people troll web forums, I guess.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Sarah Bee

"could you explain how the well-being of those around you would be compromised at all by your ingestion of dubious substances?"

Certainly. I was merely referring to the anguish your* loved one(s) would have to endure when they receive that call in the night, to tell them you've vommed your ring into a puddle and will need burying sharpish.

Or perhaps the friends and family you may end up stealing from to fund your dirty habit?

Sounds alarmist, I know, but it's an unfortunate fact of substance abuse that it can destroy not only your life but the lives of those around too.

And the sooner the "I just do it on Saturday and can totally quit when I want to" brigade get it into their chem-poached brains, the better.

Ok, rant over....

* Not you personally, of course!

Re: @Sarah Bee

I understand, but the way you phrased it makes it sound as if it directly affects the health of others, which it doesn't. It may cause upset and grief to those close to you if you fuck yourself up, yes, but if you don't fuck yourself up, it does no harm to anyone else.

1. Professor Tinklepants

@Sarah Bee

"but if you don't fuck yourself up, it does no harm to anyone else."

That's true, no arguement here. But why take the risk? Is the pay-off really worth it?

I mean, getting high\stoned is great and you can have a fantastic time etc. but what are a few hours of fun compared to the risk of seriously messing your life up?

I know you can say that about a lot of things, that are perhaps much more likely to hurt you - such as bunjee jumping or driving a racing car. But in my experience, drug use hurts a much higher number of people than those other things and I can't understand, when people are fully aware of those risks, why they continue to take the risks and, worse, to argue their right to do so with such fervour.

It's just crazy, to my eyes.

2. M Gale
          Thumb Up

Title.

Kind of reminds me of one person who is now diabetic, and gets money (well, vouchers) for alcohol because if they were to suddenly stop, the withdrawal symptoms would kill them.

Fucking idiot, basically. All done to themselves legally, too.

But hey, don't let reality get in the way of a Tabloid-inspired witch hunt against any and every possible form of fun that doesn't come from what amounts to yeast-shit.

2. Jason 50
      Paris Hilton

Question...

Do you drink alcohol?

Grow the fuck up.....

** Paris cause she likes illegal activities to **

19. Bracknellexile
    WTF?

Legal when convenient?

I was under the impression that the ACMD was required to have a veterinary expert on board to meet it's requirements so, after Polly Taylor resigned, I figured the three new members of the ACMD would include a vet, but no: A pharmacist, a dentist and a phytochemist.

Can anyone explain how the government is still pushing ahead when the makeup of the ACMD doesn't meet its own rules on membership to issue advice and ACMD-consultation is required under the misuse of drugs act before any ban can be put in place (besides the obvious "We only apply the law when it suits us" argument)?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

okay call me ignorant

But why do they need a vet? We aren't tryna stop dogs from getting high.

And a dentist? wtf? What about a toxicologist? You know, someone who might be useful?

A fucking dentist?

/facepalm

20. Mountford D
    Flame

The UK government is irresponsible

So some people in the UK has died from consuming a poisonous substance. Same sort of thing as drinking floor polish or meths - people have died from doing that too. The stupidity of the government however is not seeing that reponsibility lies with the equal stupidity of the individual for consuming poison but not seeing that SMOKING kills millions, yet that is not banned.

Simple explanation: Tobacco makes the government millions in taxes while mephedrone brings in nothing. The UK government puts finance before humanity? You bet!

Re: The UK government is irresponsible

>>So some people in the UK has died from consuming a poisonous substance. Same sort of thing as drinking floor polish or meths - people have died from doing that too.

Yes, but your logic's off. Quite a number of people have taken this particular substance and not died. One can safely say the majority of people who've taken it haven't died, in fact, and most of those haven't got ill, either. So I don't think the comparison to floor polish doesn't hold up, unless there are a bunch of floor polish drinkers who've evolved a special tolerance for it.

1. Chris Collins

Handy hint

In order to consume meths without the impact of bitrex, soak some bread in your tipple and eat the soaked bread.

1. M Gale
          Boffin

Just so you know..

Model aircraft and car fuel is mostly methanol with some nitromethane and castor or synthetic oil thrown in for good measure. If you really wanted to get very high, then blind, then dead - it's about £20 a gallon for the really good stuff. Basic GX5 will set you back about half that.

Goggles, because even if you survive methylated body cells, your eyes won't.

2. Mountford D

The UK government is irresponsible

You miss my point. I am not disputing the point that floor polish is more or less poisonous than mephedrone. I was just noting that substance abuse happens. Period.

The point I am making is that the UK government turns a blind eye to more or less harmful substances if it brings in money and I bet smoking and alcohol abuse kills a lot more people than mephedrone and other less harmful substances.

21. It'sa Mea... Mario
    WTF?

They listened to this advise..

..but did not listen to sensible advice given recently regarding a very useful herb that has been labelled a 'drug'.

How people* can be quite so blinkered I'm not sure I'll ever understand..

*pro-prohibitionists, Dail Fail readers, liebore, CONservatwunts etc etc

22. Nigel Brown
    Joke

none needed

I walked past the grave of a kid who dies from a mephedrone overdose yesterday. I couldn't help but reflect on what a pointless waste of a young person's life it was.

On the plus side, the flowers his family planted were coming on a treat.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like