back to article MS coughs to Hotmail block

Microsoft has apologised to its UK Hotmail users after some of the software vendor's IP addresses were embarrassingly blocked due to spamming. "Microsoft is dedicated to providing the most trusted and protected consumer experience on the web," said a Redmond spokesman. "We worked closely with Trend Micro to fix the issue and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bilgepipe
    Gates Horns

Sounds legit

Sounds like a legitimate block, then, rather than an error. Of course, Redmond would have us believe it's an error, but the fact is that HotMail is used to send spam and is apparently as secure as a wet tissue. Last time I signed up I was receiving spam within hours.

2. DJV Silver badge

Laugh

"Microsoft is dedicated to providing the most trusted and protected consumer experience on the web," said a Redmond COMEDIAN.

There, I corrected it for you.

3. Anton Ivanov
    Flame

Not surprising

The best way not to be blacklisted in a an anti-SPAM blacklist is not to produce it.

MS should check _OUTGOING_ email for SPAM and deny it. Hotmail and virgillio.it are the only significant webmail offenders still remaining out there. While most SPAM operations have now moved elsewhere, there is still a daily trickle of small criminal's nigerian fraud coming from both of them.

Yahoo (after a short interval where it forgot to check outgoing calendar alerts for SPAM) has been doing this for years. Same for Google.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Not just UK addresses

I run a list serve at MMU. A lot of our international members have been blocked due to this same issue.

What makes the problem worse is that some ISP's are using Microsoft to manage there email without the user knowing.

So when users get the refusal email about the mail being blacklisted, the response is WTF is going on.

A secondary problem is sending mail. A random amount of email is not even being delivered, some users reply to messages others have not revived, causing all sorts of confusion.

5. PeterM42
    Thumb Down

Hotmail Block

There was a VERY definite problem sending mail via Hotmail accounts using Outlook. I have 2 accounts (one hotmail.com and one on live.co.uk) and experienced nearly 100% blocking when trying to send mail from Outlook. All the forum and Knowledgebase stuff suggested it was a problem with port numbers being blocked ON USERS PCS, which of course it wasn't. It seemed to last for ages before MS (VERY quietly) fixed it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like