back to article Sun grows Oracle but stunts profits

All eyes were on Wall Street this afternoon as software giant and new hardware vendor Oracle reported sales of $6.4bn for its third quarter of fiscal 2010 ended in February, up 17 per cent from the year ago period. However, thanks to its $7.4bn acquisition of Sun Microsystems, which happened a month before the end of the quarter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Dead Wood

Just wait until all that dead wood they acquired from Sun gets incorporated into the general population and starts killing Oracle sales.

Stop

Exadata V2 - Larry thinks you are an idiot

Exadata v2

- Six month and still no benchmarks

- Reoccurring heat problems from Version 1 which can require an enclosed venting system

- The "magic software" is available in 11gr2 for anyone to use

- $10K software bill for every hard drive? I hope the disk is free

- $400M pipeline...duh...you got fired if you did not give a customer a proposal and cannot go to club if you don't sell a system. Which is why they are practically giving them away in the ELA renewals.

- Netezza is still kicking their Arse and now has IBM SystemX vs. that Sun x86 crap

- Solid state drives are not unique

- Oracle reps dont know how to sell this thing...but they know how to give it away.

- We are going to make sure that $2B of profit from Sun customers does not come from us

Cheers from Westview

Anonymous Coward

Solid state drives are not unique....

Er, ever read up on the spec? A F5100 is not exactly a flash drive. You might want a bit of research there.

As to heat, well, it is Intel powered, generally a tad hot. Agree on the comment, most x86 has it's limits but it's comodity and getting cheaper/more powerfull all the time.

Can't comment on pricing but I generally assume anything supplied as a blackbox solution has a premium vs something you make yourself from various vendors components. Your probably paying for the "one-throat-to-choke" support model which works quite well vs server from X, OS from Y, storage from P, DB from Q.

Playing the finger pointing vendor game isn't much fun when the proverbial has hit the fan.

Unhappy

Ouch

From the article:

"Across all hardware products, Sun accounted for $596m in total sales, which is $273m for hardware, $244m for support, and the remaining $79m for other services."

I don't know if you can rely this to Q1 2009 sales directly, but back then SUN sold for

$1246m in Server HW revenue, $507m in Storage HW revenue and $963m in services revenue (HW+Solaris etc.)

Damn they are taking a hit.

"Looking ahead, Catz said that Oracle expects hardware sales to be in the range of $1.2bn and $1.3bn in the fiscal fourth quarter."

Seems totally unrealistic.

// jesper

spp
Stop

Oracel only had Sun for one month

Remember that Oracle is only reporting on Sun's revenues for the one month from the time the sale closed to the end of the quarter. So, assume that's a true 1/3 of the full quarter, you get just over $800m for hardware, just under $750m in support and about $250m for other. Next quarter is traditionally the strongest quarter for Sun, so if you assume quarter-to-quarter growth based on sales cycle, plus organic growth based on customers not having question about Sun's future, 1.2b-1.3b isn't unrealistic.

Coat

SAP

SAP sucks so much it is not even funny anymore. I work in close relation to them. ABAP is a mess, their whole ABAP stack is dead, it feels like a heavy panzer in the Russian autumn. They have absolutely no ui skills whatsoever. When it comes to performance ..... LOL You need half a dozen GB's to run the latest idle dual-stack SAP system without swapping ... yes, idle, not doing anything, fresh after install! It only gets unusable when it starts swapping ... unless you are of the very patient kind.

Then again, I know Oracle DB, not their other ERP/Financials etc offerings, I can only say you don't really want SAP, do you?

As for Oracle DB, maybe we will see Solaris x86 db patches early from now on, then ... up until now, Solaris x86 was the last to get Oracle patches.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums