back to article Lads from Lagos pose as US troops to snare unwary ladies

The Lads from Lagos have struck again, this time posing online as US servicemen at war overseas in order to become "romantically involved" with American women fond of a man in uniform and then "prey on their emotions and patriotism". “We are seeing a number of scams being perpetrated on the internet, especially on social, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TeeCee Gold badge
    Alert

Not a lot they can do?

The US army saying that they aren't interested in going mob-handed to A.N. Other country to kick seven buckets of shite out some people who have pissed them off?

That's a first.

1. Blake St. Claire

They didn't follow the protocol

You have to have someone in a neighboring country threaten to kill your daddy.

Then you get your own queda to elect you president, ignore intelligence about an impending attack on your own soil, djinn up some faux intelligence about WMDs, and then you can go kick some butt.

That's my take on how it's done. Watch for someone in Cameroon or Chad to say something vague about Sarah "Going Rouge*" Palin's daddy, wait 3 or 7 years, and then we can fix what's wrong with Nigeria.

*No, I didn't mistype Rogue.

2. Fred Mbogo
    Flame

I got a solution

Not to sound like a maniac but I have a solution to the nuclear disarmament problem AND the 419 scams problems.

Can you guess what it is?

1. Paul_Murphy
      Flame

And

Nigeria would make a really good place to make the worlds largest lens.

Just think of all that fused sand!

The Army can do something - several things probably (aside from setting their cyberwar guys loose on the scamming b'stards) they could at least try an education/outreach programme on these various sites, pose as a blatent 'soldier seeking rich lonely and gullible woman' and give them an idea of what to look out for.

ttfn

flames - since there isn't a mushroom cloud icon

2. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Bomb the Netherlands?

which is where many of these people of Nigerian origin actually operate from?

3. Mos Eisley Spaceport
    FAIL

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!

What was that?!!!

Hint: There's one born every minute...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Serves 'em right

Maybe the lads in Iraq can take lead and try to get some of their looted wealth back

5. LPF

Simple solution

webcam!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

carpet bombing

Latitude = 6.4500, Longitude = 3.4000

Lat = 6 degrees, 27.0 minutes North

Long = 3 degrees, 24.0 minutes East

radius 30 miles from Ground Zero

Send in the bombers.

1. kissingthecarpet
      FAIL

Wouldn't it be funny if

someone shot your Mum & Dad in the face... Oh it wouldn't? I thought you like jokes about killing innocent people

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

confused

but

my mum and dad aren't at those co-ordinates.

Of *course* I wouldn't give you those - you might be a weird net freak, or worse, religious.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

@kissingthecarpet

What, you think he was joking?!? No, he's right on the money - Lagos would be a terrific site to test the Tsar Bomba Mk II! Mmmmmmm, 150 megatons of glowy nuclear goodness...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Hmmm

I find it hard to have a pop at the "Lagos Lads", scumbags that they are. They always seem so inventive with their scams! When you see the huge debt that the Western governments put Africa under, scamming a few hundred yanks, too dopey to spot a scam a mile off, seems almost like payback!

8. spezzer
    Grenade

<#N/A>

Lets face it, the army can protect them from bombers, hijackers, metalists, etc - but they cant protect these women from themselves!

9. /dev/me
    Coat

I'd fall for that...

HONORABLE MISS!!!

IT IS WITH GRATEST DELIGHTS THAT I INFORM YOU THAT IN TE GLORYUS WAR YOUR^H^H^H^H OUR CUONTRIE IS FIGHTING OVER SEA I MA PROUD TO SERVE YOUR^H^H^H^H OUR MILITARY. AND I BRING THE NEWS OF MOST FANASTIC POSSIBILITIES YET FOR THE ROMANTIC YES I HAVE CHOSEN YOU AND AND YOU CAN TELL YOUR DEAREST FRIENDS AND YOUR PARENT AND FAMILY IT IS MY WISH WE CAN GET TOGETHER AS SOON AS WE HAVE WON THE WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS TOLD BY MY SARGANT HOWEVER THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBILITIES TO ACCESS BANKACCOUNT BECAUSE THE MONIES WILL BE TRANSFERRED AS SOON AS WE FLY BACK TO THE AMERICAS ONLY. AND I WISH TO RECIEVE YOUR FOTOGRAPH AND SEE YOUR LOVELY FACE BUT MY SARGENT SAIS IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO RECIEVE BECAUSE POSTMEN DO NOT COME SO CLOSE TO FRONT.

IT IS POSSIBLE HOWEVER TO PAY SOMEONE I KNOW HE IS MY FRIEND AND HE WILL SEND YOU EVERY LETTER I WRITE AND YORS TO BUT YOU SEE HE MUST BE PAIED BECAUSE HE NEEDS TO FIX HIS CAR TO COME TO ME AND IT IS BROKEN IT NEEDS A NEW WHEEL WITCH IT IS NOT EXPENSIVE AND I AGREED TO AY HIM YES? YOU MAY PAY HIM FIRST AND I PAY YOU BACK AFTER THE WAR TENFOLD BECAUS EI LOVE YOU AND YOUR^H^H^H^H OUR GREATEST NATION.

YOURS IN CHRIST,

LUTENTANT BROWN AMERICAN ARMY

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only one thing to say...

A fool and their money are soon parted.

1. Anonymous Swineherd

Standard

And the real tragedy is that these people had any money in the first place.

11. asdf
    Joke

merkin girls

Actually every population has a few speds or these 419ers wouldn't waste time composing broken english emails. Still I guess merkin girls have a bit of a rep in at least Europe. Here is an oldie but goody about the subject.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/european-men-are-so-much-more-romantic-than-americ,11552/

12. Fatman
    Big Brother

419'ers looking for "wives"

May I suggest that one take a page from our Muslim brothers, and when a 419'er asks for a picture of the "lady", provide him with one of a female wearing a burqa.

Then tell the fool that in order to see her 'in the flesh' he must make payment of $100,000 USD.

Ask him to send his banking details.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

LOL My Riching Dead Relatives are Now being in Armie

Hello Dear Frend Madam , you name as given to me by a close mutual frend who thinks that you would like a soldger man of the USA who is wanting a frended to companyen with.

I would like to become more aquainted with you but I am not allowed to call you as the armie has not paying up us for some time. If you wood be kinded enouf to sending me some monie to me I will telefon you as immedeatlee as I receive it and put it in the bank volt for our mutual assuredness.

Sinserlee yours

King General Privates Idi Amin

14. M man

je fron uit de Dutchland?

@Bomb the Netherlands? #

er would that be Dutchland? ...just imagin american miltery inteligence*

"awww caynt find in on tha map gen-ner-ral...oh ther it is..but they spelled it funny...whatever...."

*yeah, I know.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Netherlands - Germany

Isn't Holland that big country next to Germany? That is the Dutchmans favourite dream/joke!

I love the Dutch when they take the piss out of the Germans, they never get the irony ... in their National amthen, they all sing along: "We are of German blood"!

Ja, jullie zijn van duitse bloed, dat zegt je volkslied .... LOL Nou, wat is met mijn toetsenboord gebeurd?

Disclaimer: I am not German, I am not Dutch (obviously) ... I am a Brit - anon because, well you know, I live in Holland .... ;-)

1. Citizen Kaned

odd...

that you dont know where you live, since holland is a region in the netherlands and to my knowledge not a country at all. it is the largest region of the netherlands but as far as i know cannot be classed as a country

2. Chika
      Coat

Oh yeah, Dutchland!

Somewhere in that place called "Yurp". We bombed the tar out of it years ago!

HEY, OBAMA!!! Let's pack up that damn thing in Iraq and go and kill us some Yurpeens!!! YEEEEHAW!!!

(Cheque, please!)

This topic is closed for new posts.