Feeds

back to article Xerox Phaser 6125

This printer has the lowest official retail price in the group by a good way and this feeds through to typical internet prices, where it can be had for around £139. You might expect Xerox to have cut some corners to get to this price, but not a bit of it. Xerox Phaser 6125 The tall white machine with dark blue highlights has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Cartridge life expectancy

I'd love to know how long one of these expects to last in a home environment where printing is not particularly high volume. Where many inkjets fall over is how quickly a cartridge dries out leaving page yields in a home scenario extremely low and therefore expensive. In theory, a laser shouldn't suffer from this but is that really true?

cartridge life is better, but toner can get clogged too

I bought a small laser a few years ago (a Samsung CLP300N) being fed up with printing problems due to clogging ink. The speed and sharpness are indeed excellent, but recently I started to see problems that seemed to indicate the toner was running out.

Turns out it wasn't; but small deposits of toner on crucial parts of the printer's innards blocked the normal 'flow' of the toner onto the drum.

With the help of some guidance from fixyourownprinter.com I managed to clean this up, but it seems that if you don't print often enough these kind of problems will always turn up. Printers, it seems, don't like to stand still for too long.

Thumb Up

Good printer, few problems

I bought a Xerox Phaser 6130N (mechanically similar to the 6125) last year for exactly that reason - my inkjet was always clogged up when I wanted to use it. I've had no problems with the 6130 even when I don't use it for weeks. I have only two criticisms of this printer: (1) when using the manual feed slot, it is very hard to get the paper aligned correctly - it often takes 2 or 3 attempts to get a printout that isn't skewed because the paper has gone through at an angle (printing from the tray is fine); (2) a replacement set of 4 toner cartridges at £50+ each costs more than the printer itself. So I will probably just buy black toner cartridges and buy a new printer when the colour ones run out. Wonder if I can get Xerox to pay to take away the old printer under the WEEE directive?

Go

It's good.

I bought a Samsung CLP-310 about a year ago for office use, printing labels and mailshots. It has sat idle for up to 3 months at a time, but always produces good docs from the first print (though B&W only for the very first print after switching on due to crappy Mac drivers). This is very different from typical inkjet experience.

I'm now about 2/3 through the toner cartridges, and will certainly buy another similar type of unit when these run out (cost of replacement >> than original purchase price) and quite possibly that Xerox unit.

Postscript

I think The Reg is missing the point on the driver front here. Most of these printers support either Postscript or HPLIP under JetDirect, and connect to the network via ethernet, so driver/OS support is a completely moot issue. Have none of you there ever used a network printer before?!

The mind boggles.

This topic is closed for new posts.