Feeds

back to article Muso turfed off train for 'suspicious' set list

A 25-year-old musician was turfed off a South West Trains service after security operatives objected to his "suspicious" set list, The Portsmouth News reports. Bassist Tom Shaw was putting together the list for his band The Magic Mushrooms, and ill-advisedly included the word "killers" as shorthand for These Things That I've …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Coat

I predict a riot

getting it already.

Rail community officer?

Are they even real police?

Thumb Down

Fortunately...

not. They're employed by SWT, not the police. They go on a training course *endorsed* by the Police and are given "certain powers" by the British Transport Police. These "powers" don't include arrest or detain which I'm guessing, certainly in my mind, falls short of being classed as "real police", thank goodness.

Grenade

I was wondering the same...

... Plastic Transport Coppers then, yes?

Useless lot.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Care in the Community Officers

Or Fucking Idiots with Hats of Power, if you prefer.

Pint

British though, through and through

If they'd been USAns they have rolled him omn the floor face down and shot him with a clot 45 stung un.

Uh oh.

I've noticed that people quite often peer at the track listing on other peoples MP3 players on the London Underground. When I notice someone ogling my track listing I make a point of switching to something unsettling titled. "Suck My Dick" by Carnivore or "All I Want To Do Is Kill Her" by The Cure for instance. I'll have to be careful I don't get my collar felt by a plastic plod in future ...

Anonymous Coward

aka

": "We employ highly-professional rail community officers who work closely with the British Transport Police in protecting the security of passengers on the rail network." AKA fascist idiots

HE GOT KILLER WRITTEN DOWNZ GET HIMZZZ

note to self, don't do any writing in public. K no photos, no speaking that my be disliked, be careful with my mp3 player, only carry one laptop and phone and, don't take photos.

Fuck me I'm glad we're so safe! Seriously the cowardly dicks that make up our fear addicted populace and power base should go live in a mildly dangerous country for a while, then come back, and be "well shit, I ain't scared of nout in this country."

Anonymous Coward

Need to be vigilant?

The debate here I believe is whether stupidity or insanity best describes this so-called vigilance.

Anonymous Coward

This is to be expected..

..when our government deliberately raises paranoia and urges people to spy on each other via adverts on TV and Radio etc,

He's lucky

If he'd been covering any Anal Cunt tunes they'd have shot him before asking questions!

The excuse they gave is laughable, but I'm sure it's better than "we're drunk on oursense of power and paranoia".

Be afraid!

"The team clarified the nature of the individual's business, were satisfied with his explanation and the man went on his way."

So what if they weren't satisfied? Back to a police station for intensive background checks and probing into another inocent persons life just because of the "current environment".

I can only imagine how different this story would have been if the guy had a perma-tan and a big black beard...

FAIL

Stagecoach Gestapo

"We employ highly-professional rail community officers who work closely with the British Transport Police ..."

So they weren't even proper coppers. Arseholes! Highly professional my foot.

Anonymous Coward

Gestapo without a cause

The thing is, they're employed to do exactly this, stop terrorists blowing up trains. And they will never see a terrorist, because terrorists are so rare and look like anyone else, so their BE-AFRAID amplifiers are turned up to 11.

And their amps have feedback, the more people they take off trains, the more they think it's good to take people off trains.

And then they see terrorists EVERYWHERE, that dark faced person over there, the person looking at his watch again and again, the person eyeing his laptop bag.

FAIL

current environment

I'm not normally one for Daily Mail vitriol but the phrase "current environment" made me want to send 'em back.

That phrase and the people who use it as justification will be reviled.

Flame

FAO South West Trains:

"We employ highly-professional rail community officers..."

No. You. Fucking. Don't.

Really, Britain's done. It's over. Let's just go, there's nothing to stay for.

highly-professional morons more like

Which co-incidentally would be a great name for a band. Well maybe not, but it would make a great song title.

I'm gonna get me an orange jacket....

so i can be a complete tool!

Anonymous Coward

Yet another nail in the coffin

>We employ highly-professional rail community officers

In other words, would be PCSOs who failed the interview.

I've just returned from a three week stretch (no other way to describe it) in the UK and the sense of oppresion is overwhelming. Cameras everywhere and on top of that an abundance of jumped up little hitlers on power highs. I'd read horror stories but I'd always taken them with a pinch of salt, however having seen it with my own eyes I really do despair for the future freedom of the English.

Big Brother

Seig heil

Yeah give someone a uniform and they often turn into a little hitler. But that's just human nature; I don't think it's UK-specific. You should see the cops in the US ordering people around from inside their cars using megaphones. At least in the UK if you disobey a little hitler you know you're not going to be shot.

Mind you, there'd probably be fewer ASBOs if you didn't know that.

FAIL

Eh?

Eddie Edwards wrote: "At least in the UK if you disobey a little hitler you know you're not going to be shot."

Unless you're a Brazilian electrician, obv. Were this to happen to me, I should be inclined to cite Arkell vs. Pressdram.

WTF?

Lies & Damned Lies

"We employ highly-professional rail community officers"

No. No, it seems that such is not, in fact, the case, and that the employed rail community officers are, in fact. closer to being the sort of person who was turned down for the army, the police, traffic-warden, city-centre ambassador, and toilet attendant first - due to lack of moral fibre and judgemental ability.

Thumb Down

I expect...

...that incidents like these are the only way these "rail community officers" can get a chubby.

FAIL

Muso

When I read 'Muso' I thought El Reg had adopted the Australian shorthand for a Muslim.

Happy

Pffffttt!

@Robert Ramsay - That was the funniest thing I've read all day. Thanks for cheering me up. :-)

Wonder what these guys would have done if it was the last train home on a Friday night from Waterloo.....

Coat

So...

This is my station.

Typical.

The next train would have been half an hour. Southern have somehow managed to find YET ANOHTER method of wasting their paying customer's time. Why did they need him off the train? Was the floor of the carriage not sufficiently hard to smack someones face onto and kneal on their back should the need to "detain" this violent lunatic arose?

I'll pack my reflective jacket next time so I can pretend to be a copper and arrest these two twats for harassment, threatening behavoir and kidnapping!

Mine's the reflective jacket.

Pirate

Jackets...

Makes you wonder what they would do if everyone on a car went the whole hog on "Health and Safety" by all wearing different neon orange, yellow, and green web vests - in the interests of not being lost in the case of an emergency...

Resistance is standing up for YOURSELF _every_ day.

Let's play fantasy set list

White Riot

Beat on the Brat

Psychotic Reaction

Anarchy in the UK

Theme from the Muppet Show

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Theme from the Muppet Show

That's gold, Jerry, gold!

When confronted by people like this

Ask exactly what authority they have to make you get off a train, or to detain you on the platform, or, in fact, to ask you to do anything at all.

When they reveal that they actually have no powers enshrined upon them by law you can happily go back to ignoring them.

Bronze badge
WTF?

ludicrous

"During a routine high-visibility patrol, they spoke with a passenger on the platform at Fareham station."

Way to gloss over the fact he was on a train and they made him get off at Fareham so they could talk to him. I imagine he must have been sitting in a Quiet Carriage, so it was impossible for them to have a conversation with him on the train.

YOU ALL ARE WRONG!!!

It was highly suspicious, the story alleges the PCSOs could actually read.

Hanlon's razor

that is all.

Silver badge
Flame

Tell them what you think

They decided it was their job to peer over everyone's shoulder and read their private notes just in case they could pick out something to give them an 'excuse' to get their rocks off harassing someone?

I would suggest that every rail passenger carry a piece of paper saying clearly "BRITISH TRANSPORT POLICE ARE NOSY LITTLE SHITS"

Flame

Standard Stationary

There should be packets of stationary for sale with these messages, perhaps randomized for variety!

YOUR INSIPID PARANOIA IS NO EXCUSE

CONFIDENTIAL: YOU VIEWING THIS IS ILLEGAL

YOU CAN READ THIS - AFTER I READ THE WARRANT

AND WHAT IS YOUR BNP MEMBER NUMBER?

NO, YOU CAN NOT USE TACT s.44 FOR THIS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR BADGE NUMBER

NOSY RUDENESS DOES NOT PROTECT BRITAIN

HOW RUDE! OH, YOU MUST BE U.S. GOV. AGENT

FAIL

targets again

I wonder how many "incidents" they have to report a week to get their gold star on the next performance review / bonus round ? There is no other sane reason for this kind of behaviour...

WTF?

They made me???

"He continued: "They made me get out at Fareham and when I asked what was wrong they told me to show them the piece of paper I'd been writing on. "

Anyone want to comment on the correct (legal, polite but basically says sod off) response to a non-plod asking me to leave a train for a conversation?

AC because they have lists of 'problem passengers'

How they make you

Having been given permission by the train owner, if they ask you to leave and you don't, then wouldn't you be trespassing?

FAIL

phew

Thank god we're safe from the spate of train/paper based terrorism we've had in the UK recently.

Coat

It's

those dangerous paper cuts.

Mine's the one I can fold into a paper airplane.

Paris Hilton

current environment

"need to be vigilant in the current environment"

Well, glad to hear it's only temporary.

Anonymous Coward

too bad that he wasn't covering venetian snares

Mmm.. lots of phrases like:

Fuck Canada // Fuck America

Die Winnipeg Die Die Die Fuckers Die

Eleven Million Dollars Worth Of Stolen Bearer Bonds

Pay Me For Sex

Bashing His Head

Chainsaw Fellatio

A Giant Alien Force More Violent & Sick Than Anything You Can Imagine

Point Blank

Boiled Angel

Intense Demonic Attacks

Fire Is The Devil

All The Children Are Dead

..or there'd likely be an armed response team waiting at the other end.

Megaphone

I'd be LIVID..!

"current environment"

WTF does that mean? That we're currently surrounded by lying, scare mongering, power mad wankers with completely inappropriate and unnecessary authority?

We're no more likely to be the victim of a 'terrorist' attack today than we were at any point in the 70's 80's 90's or 00's (considerably LESS likely for the most part) but we're certainly more at risk of being waylaid by some dick head on a power trip, or having or liberties shat upon by this disgraceful fucking excuse for a 'free state' we live in!

Coat

Now Citizen...

You know you are not allowed to be livid. Such talk violates the Extreme Emotional Outburst law under the "Safe Toddlers from Oppresive Pedophiles" (STOP) Act, 2010.

Now come along, don't make a fuss - that's another charge!

Icon: Ripping out the spine of personal responsibility and disconnecting individual thought.

Silver badge
FAIL

The man went on his way? My arse!!!

Did these "Rail Community Officers" hold the train at the platform so he could get back on when he had satified their curiosity?

Did they provide him with an alternative method of completing his journey or the finances to do so?

I suspect they will have left him to fend for himself. And with SWT's reputation for "service" that probably means waiting an eternity for the next train.

Did the man who killed his wife use a bass guitar? He's lucky he wasn't going to play "Cop Killer" by Bodycount...

Flame

highly-professional rail community officers

Sue them for harassment. See how professional they are in front of a judge.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Exactly!

Exactly what I was thinking!

They decided to peer at a personal note, private to that individual. As nothing more than security guards on private property, they had no right to look at his private notes! I would certainly conisder a private prosecution on the grounds of harrassment.

Good luck if he does!

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

And once again...

Another group of wanna be Mussolinis (what on earth is the plural of Mussolini?) fail to grasp the simple fact that the number of terror attacks which have been discovered by random stops is a big round zero.

The sooner someone reminds them that intelligence is required (and then explains what intelligence is in this context) the sooner innocent musicians and photographers can go about their daily business. Even if said business involves them sitting on a train or going near a fish and chip shop.

Thank God that chip shops are local enough that a train journey is not required or we'd never get any Friday dinner.

Re: what on earth is the plural of Mussolini?

Pricks.

Happy

Be careful what you read ....

I often write pages for my website on the train and always get people sat next to me reading my laptop screen. Luckily the website is about hypnosis so if I get it right, they're clucking like chickens by the time I reach my stop.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.