Feeds

back to article After Sony PSP phone, a 3G Nintendo DS?

Mobile gaming lies at the heart of all the best smartphone rumors this quarter, so it's no surprise that talk of a Nintendo handset have resurfaced. The Japanese firm is reported to be preparing a complete revamp of its DS handheld console for launch at June's E3 show, which would come with embedded 3G and ship in time for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
FAIL

Game prices

Nintendo has a problem. Games for the iPhone/iPod, Andriod etc. cost significantly less than they do on the DS.

If someone buys a DS and 5 games, this is about the same cost as the cheapest iPod touch with 5 games. I'd opt for the iPod if it were not so delicate...

Silver badge

Proper titles pull more gamers

The DS games may be more expensive than an iBone app/game, but at least they are known titles, the kind of games that pull in hardcore gamers. You know, the kind of demographics the DS-phone would be actually targetting. What would you rather play, Mario Kart or iDontKnowWho's Kart? Pacman or "Pecman"? You get what you pay for.

Silver badge

Built in free 3G for the win

I think this Kindlesque built in 3G will be a win for them - firstly it should get rid of the piracy problem at least for a while, meaning all software can be authenticated on-line. Secondly, yeah an iPhone might be great and all but the more causal user and kids aint going to be signing up for a £40 per month O2 or Vodafone contract are they in order to have a data plan.

As for the iPod Touch not having monthly on going costs and cheaper games - well the lack of 3G will become a disadvantage soon and while the games might be cheaper - but I'd rather play Mario Kart, Professor Layton and Zelda on the train than a port of a 16 bit Sega game with crap controls or mess around with a fart app!

If I was more into puzzle games maybe an iPod Touch would be a goer. The Popcap games seem to be doing well. Without a d-pad and buttons though, it limits the types of games that can work well on the system. I haven't tried playing one. but how well do fighting games play on iPhones? I cant imagine any button masher would be a good experience and might even result in broken screens! (if you really do mash buttons like I do!)

Go

Interesting...

I thought piracy on the DS was something of a non-issue, due to the platform itself? ( i.e., have to license the cart design, development environment, etc.)

Learn something new everyday, I guess...

This topic is closed for new posts.