Feeds

back to article Safari update cages numerous security bugs

Apple published an update of its Safari browser on Thursday that plugs 16 security vulnerabilities. Safari 4.0.5, available for Mac OS X and Windows, fixes a slew of critical code injection and information disclosure bugs. Unpatched Windows boxes running Safari are more exposed than their Mac counterparts by flaws that mean …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Security bugs, what security bugs?

Here's the official change list from the Apple Update installer:

1. Performance improvements for Top Sites

2. Stability improvements for 3rd-party plug-ins

3. Stability improvements for websites with online forms

4. Accessibility improvements when filling out online forms while using 3rd-party screen readers

5. Improved memory usage when Safari uses a wide variety of fonts

6. Fixes an issue that prevented Safari from changing settings on some Linksys routers

7. Fixes an issue that prevented some iWork.com users from commenting on documents

See? It's all about stability and performance. And a couple of minor 'issues'.

Anonymous Coward

Did i hear....

.....'fanboi' whispering in the wind.

Anonymous Coward

read more carefully

The description starts with "This update ... includes improvements to performance, stability, and security including: ...", so it's not a complete list. And there's the link at the bottom to Apple's page on security updates.

FAIL

Did you see

anything going over your head? I believe the first post was a well done bit of sarcasm.

FAIL

did you miss the Apple advisory perhaps?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4070

It was at the bottom of the article...lots of security fixes - as is often the case with Apple, most vulnerabilities were several months old.

http://secunia.com/advisories/38932/ - rated these as 'highly critical' rather than 'minor issues'.

Not entirely their fault since the worst offenders were issues with webkit....although I suppose you could argue that maybe its time for Apple to drop the pretence and actually develop its own web browser.

If interested,

you can subscribe to the product-security list at lists.apple.com and know about these things just as fast as the Register.

I presume some of the vulnerabilities also apply to other Webkit browsers such as Chrome, and on mobile platforms (RIM, Nokia).

Coat

Hurumble!

The Safari user will be really pleased!

This topic is closed for new posts.