back to article Clinton report warns human rights are online too

An annual report by the US State Department has found dictators and repressive governments around the world are making sure they have as much control over their citizens when they're online as they do the rest of the time. The United States annual report on human rights might include a look at internet access and censorship but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
WTF?

Oh. My. God.

Where to start with the hypocrisy???? The US criticising other countries for using terrorism as an excuse for reducing civil liberties? "torture, wrongful arrest, censorship and police brutality" which the US has become a shining example of how to get away with?

Seriously, my jaw has been on the floor for a good 5 minutes after reading!

Anonymous Coward

Amnesty International

...and what do Amnesty International have to say about China/USA?

Frankly, I'll believe them before I beleive the US Govt!

Gates Horns

Irony?

Is that report supposed to be ironic or did it just turn out that way?

"

An annual report by the US State Department has found dictators and repressive governments around the world are making sure they have as much control over their citizens when they're online as they do the rest of the time.

"

Says the State Department of a country whose goverment illegaly monitored all Internet traffic of its citizens without their knowledge and whose president gave the goverment agency responsible for said monitoring immunity over prosecution.

Not to mention draconian "terrorism" laws and anti-"piracy" agreements.

But it does take one to know one I suppose.

Silver badge
Flame

From which pulpit....

"Many governments applied overly broad interpretations of terrorism and emergency powers as a basis for limiting the rights of detainees and curtailing other basic human rights and humanitarian law protections."

Yes, with one of the worst culprits being the good ol' US of A

Get your own house in order before pointing fingers

Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile in the USA

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/10/jihadjane_indictment/

Gold badge

*shock*

Exactly where does the US get off making such statements? The collective fingers of that country are just as stained with the blood of innocents as anyone else's

Before some twat comments "if it weren't for the US defending your freedom to tell them off, you wouldn't have such freedom," I'm not from the US. The US doesn't defend my right to make such comments. From everything I can see...the EU does.

I will believe the US has the moral right to make a statement such as was contained in this article the day Amnesty International gives US.gov a clean bill of health. Until then…

…I call for the election of “Steelie” Neelie Kroes to the (as yet unformed) office of Prime Minister Of Earth.

Silver badge
Big Brother

Sad but true

Our politicians are just like all the rest of the jack-booted, do as I say, not as I do thugs. But what else can you expect from a government who takes the words "invest in the future" all too literally; meaning "spend now".

Silver badge
Big Brother

It's one of those "irregular verbs"

We protect freedom,

You infringe rights,

They repress people.

Gold badge

That is absolutely fantastic

I'm having that made into a t-shirt. Great big letters on an American flag background.

Positively spectacular.

hahah

China is accusing someone of using politics as an engine behind something? Gee, isn't China ran by the "people"? Doesn't the government run it's own banks, cement companies, and other industry tools that showed their ugly faces during the bejing olmpics.

If you remember China shutdown cement companies and other industry to reduce it's destruction of the environment while the olympics were going on. China = politics and they are finally starting to lose.

I for one would be fine completely blocking the third world from any of our servers. I do no business with china but have to put up with attempted cyber attacks all day long from them and russia.

Our government, google, (yahoo was too whimpy but still got hacked) have all been hacked by China and from what has been stated attacks bought and paid for by yes the government.

I guess Chinas government isn't political.

I don't agree with alot that our political class does here in the US but if it's one thing we have plenty of it's human rights.

Maybe Clinton can talk to her husband about cheating and infidelity. People that can't control their own lives shouldn't be preaching to others how to run theirs.

-

I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

Big Brother

Paranoid conspiracies...

The illuminati are coming! Bury your heads in the sand, the global overlords are putting the final steps into place, enslavement of the human race...

Mind you, collectively we've been stupid enough to let it happen. It was fun while it lasted. See you in room 101.

War is peace!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums