Feeds

back to article Doctor Who to materialise on Wii this Autumn

The BBC's first Doctor Who game in years will be released in October and will be released for Nintendo's Wii, moles have claimed. The title is said to feature new Doctor Matt Smith who will be placed against the Daleks and the Silurians - both due to make return appearances in the new series, which kicks off next month. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Pinball

There used to be a Dr Who pinball game too - was lots of fun, especially late in the evening after a few pints of beer down the pub.

Happy

Ooops

Have you just revealed a little known BBC secret?

I don't think the BBC have released News of the return of the Silurians yet!

We can only hope they are not the comical version show in Peter Davisons era.

Jon Pertwee's Silurians were a fantastic idea!

Anonymous Coward

hardware

Complete with Sonic Screwdriver remote?

Silver badge

No guns, please!

I really hope the BBC keep a tight run on this like they did with the Doctor Who Role-playing game (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Adventures-Time-Space/dp/1907204113). What they did with that was take a really different approach to it that matched the Doctor Who series - the rules encourage non-violent, imaginative solutions and the influence that a character has on a story is separated from their "power-level" in that you can trade story points for character attributes and skills, or keep them to influence the plot in other ways. If the computer game sticks to the same principle of following the TV series in puzzles and mysteries, then great. If the makers are allowed to turn it into running along, picking up sonic screwdriver upgrades to blast your enemies more quickly, then it's going to be a complete waste of the Doctor Who name.

Yes - I like Doctor Who. :D

Thumb Up

Play it

No mention of a Speccy game is complete without the requisite link to http://www.zxspectrum.net. And yes, they have Dalek Attack --- scroll down to 1992, and it's right there under 'Doctor Who'.

Thumb Up

Dalek Attack! Dalek Attack!

Wow, someone used a Dalek Attack screenshot! I've kept an old laptop handy just to be able to play that game.

That's just made my day, that has.

Maybe it was just in the book -

As far as I recall, the "Silurians" are an ancient Earth reptile race who stored themselves in bunkers to survive a near-collision with a massive body from space, to be revived after it impacted or missed. Instead it went into orbit as our Moon and the computers never woke them up. This is an interesting anticipation of the dinosaur-killer asteroid theory by about ten years, but was broadcast at almost the same time as real-life astronauts were bringing back moon rocks that strongly support a theory that the Moon is made of debris from the very early Earth's collision with another body, possibly a Trojan companion gone rogue - some computer models of planet formation have implied that this happens more often than you might think - long before any life on earth was more than pond scum and such. So that may be revised.

I hope they don't have a catchphrase like the Cybermen do now but I don't think I'm the target audience for Doctor Who any more... when the Doctor invited Kylie Minogue(!) to become his new companion I think I was not supposed to think "That isn't going to happen, so she probably gets killed later." It was that or she marries the little red spiky person, but once they killed him off it was obviously going to be cheerio Charlene.

This topic is closed for new posts.