Feeds

back to article Panasonic DMC-G2

With a DSLR dangling from my neck, unpacking the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 was certainly quite a contrast. The diminutive lens is remarkably light and, even when married to the body, you certainly don’t feel like you’re being burdened by bulk. Panasonic DMC-G2 pre-production sample Finishing touch: Panasonic's Lumix DMC-G2 A …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

woohoo

That's a very slick bit of interface design.

However, firm presses don't sound great for stability, especially when hand holding- I like to take a lot of pictures in rubbish light and hate tripods, so that would worry me.

The other thing that would worry me is if you're expected to chimp off the back screen while using it- one of the things that most represents a tradeup for me with a DSLR over my compacts is being able to use the viewfinder, and top LCD, and have nicely laid-out physical controls. That's actually half the value of the format for me- being able to do 99% of the things that I need without having to turn the rear LCD on, which messes with battery life terribly, and is extra-nasty on sunny days.

Still, it is a lovely bit of interface design!

Bronze badge

I'll stick with my...

EOS 7D thanks as it's all camera and zero gimmiky video game.

Not really a competitor

And costs about a grand more for the body only (assuming G2 prices are similar to current G1).

Having said that, the 550D looks a decent alternative for not much more. A lot bigger and heavier though...

zero video on the 7D?

Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse, since you have a 7D and I only have the Reg's review and the Canon product page*I'll have to defer to your experience of a lack of video on the 7D.

* http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=19356

Gold badge

All it needs now ..

.. is a decent remote control so that you could hook it up to a decent size monitor and control it.

I fear the touch screen idea won't work for me, because that typically relies on a display that won't move any further away when you press it (i.e. at the end of range for the hinge), unless you handle it with 2 hands (or "thumb" control it). I like the idea, but not sure how that is going to "pan out" (cough) in reality..

Anyway, nice preview, thanks.

This topic is closed for new posts.