back to article Dibble gets mobile dabs checker

All English and Welsh police forces are getting mobile fingerprint scanners following controversial trials of the tech by several police forces. The gadgets, from Cogent Systems, have been trialled by 28 forces using 330 devices - this ends in the summer when the new devices will be sent out. A friendly Bobby takes a young lad' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

To be honest...

> national fingerprint database.

It's a shame dabs.com is already taken....

Anonymous Coward

Hmm

This won't get abused at all of course...

Silver badge

Having never been fingerprinted...

I want to know is this a fingerprint checker or a fingerprint capture and recording system. Are the captures disregarded after the the matching process?

Do you think the police would listen when I told them that their device would not identify me? I am pretty sure they would fingerprint me anyway, especially as they would likely see me as being guilty until I could prove my innocence.

Gold badge
Joke

Honestly..

"I want to know is this a fingerprint checker or a fingerprint capture and recording system."

Umm, hello, this is the UK. This means it will store your fingerprint for at least twice as long as publicly announced, will probably scrape some DNA when you're not looking and before you, er, pull your finger out it will also take a picture of you - something that will only be discovered years later when someone accidentally leaves a USB stick on a train or when it's politically convenient to do so.

In addition, due to a configuration error your fingerprint will automatically get attached to a Schengen-wide search notice for a child abuser and lobbed into the US no-fly list as a result of the sterling brotherly coordination in place to help the world plus its privacy to hell in a hand basket.

I think that about sums it up. Anything else I can help with?

Silver badge
WTF?

"can take prints from suspects"

As far as I understand it, unless I have been arrested or believed to be committing Anti-Social Behaviour or am driving a car, I am not required to identify myself to a Police Officer.

Being "a suspect" isn't enough for them to demand my identity, let alone my fingerprints!

Headmaster

How legal is it?

I know that you can be required to give a DNA sample if taken to a police station (arrested?) but I'm unclear as to whether I can can be required to put my finger into a scanner while not actually under arrest or while I'm in a public place. Anyone know the answer? Is it grounds for arrest if I refuse? Who is allowed to use these scanners? PC's in uniform, PCSO's, plain-clothed detectives?

Need some clarity here methinks.

Happy

Law

If you are stopped. You are well within your rights to just walk away. A copper stopping you in the street is just like a friend.

He has to arrest you to make you do anything.

Not quite

They will detain you for 6 hours, before arresting you on made-up grounds.

Anonymous Coward

Another weapon

... in the extra-judicial "punishment masquerading as a minor inconvenience" arsenal for those who fail to tug their forelock appropriately when fingered by Plod.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums