back to article Sony readies revamped netbook

Sony looks set to replace its Vaio W netbook series with a new model based on the latest Atom chip series. A number of UK retailers - check out Tesco or Dabs, for exmaple - have begun listing the Sony Vaio M, in particular the M11M1E/B. Sony Vaio W Sony's Vaio W: set to be replaced this month... The spec is standard fare …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Based on my Sony experiences...

Won't this be loaded with bloatware, trialware, crapware, etc etc as is traditional for Sony computing products?

Yes, experiences is in the plural, as I didn't learn my lesson with them the first two times.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

See the camera?

See the camera? Recall the school that installed secret software to turn on the camera and peer into the homes of it's students?

Recall how Germany approved the installation of remote software trojans to spy on people.

That's a nice shutter free camera you got there, and a nice mic. How long before spying software is found on mobile phones, and laptops and someone in power is defending it's use?

3. OffBeatMammal

stop with the 600px high screens already

600px == too much damn scrolling and dialogue boxes that assume >= 720px high screens become unusable.

Let's draw a line under it here and now. The damn iPad can have the 600px market to itself because apps really are written for it, but .... just try using anything on one of these piddly screens and drive yourself mad. Even Farmville doesn't fit properly!

Oh, and the next "modern" machine I see with a modem needs to go in the blender - waste of space and power

1. Ammaross Danan
      FAIL

Unless

"Oh, and the next "modern" machine I see with a modem needs to go in the blender - waste of space and power"

Unless, you're a Road Warrior. You know, the kind that may need to make (or receive) a fax whilst in <enter a random nowhere-ville location here> for business reasons. You know, the type that might be in to the ultra-portable and light, but cheap for the beancounter's approval, type laptop.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whatever happened to Moore's Law?

The specs of the current crop of netbooks isn't that far removed from the original Eee. Only the screens and the bills have got significantly bigger.

2Gb RAM would make many of these machines much more usable for day-to-day use.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

"...buy this?"

Are you being paid for this subliminal message?

6. Patrick 14
    FAIL

Why?

Like they have said before me the screen is rubbish.

My HP DM 1010sa has a 11.6" tft with 1366*768 and thats just about right for the panel size.

And the DM looks better than this and only was £349 when i got it.

Fail well it is a Sony

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Never buy a Sony laptop

My experience with a Sony Vaio laptop has been-

1. First one was DOA.

2. Second one worked, but fit and finish was poor and had dead pixels. I kept it. Didn't have a choice.

3. Poor warranty and poor service support. Also no driver updates.

4. Ended up selling it and buying a Thinkpad as a replacement.

It has been quite a few years ago, but the experience was bad enough that I will never buy another Sony computer.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like