Tracking someone’s location using GPS technology is often regarded as sneaky or underhand, but what if you’re simply a paranoid protective parent craving the security of knowing your child’s whereabouts – day or night? Race Telcom WiGoMo One Intensive care: Race Telcom's WiGoMo One and GPS beacon Manufacturer Race Telecom …
Why does this even exist? And an external GPS dongle? Really? Even the most basic phones are coming with built in GPS these days which work just as well and triangulation via mobile antena is fairly accurate too. If you have that little trust in your child then why would you even let them go out in the first place?
Hmm kids keen?
As part of this review I would love you to speak to the potential customers.
Parent - Would you like a phone
Child - I would love one
Parent - It's a GPS tracker that can tell me where ever you are and I can block your calls remotely when ever I want
Child - How does get ****ed sound?
Would love to see the kids using one of these.... and one of these http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/23/car_theft_gps_jam/
cue calls to the police
when Jr realises the beacon can be disconnected.
What is it with battery life on phones over the past few years... I remember having an SE K750i that used to last more than 7 days with usage... It even got trodden on one New Year's Eve and soldiered on until not being able to read text messages rendered it useless
One problem here...
My (and probably most) teenagers woldn't be seen dead carrying this monstrosity...
I'd be tempted to bury one in the boot of my car, in case of theft.
Breakage, removal... GPS implementation well off.
I'd echo some of the posts here - the fact it's external means that
- it'll get broken, the cable will snap internally eventually (or the kid will do it)
- The kid will just disconnect the thing when he/she doesn't want to be tracked
- it'll drain more power - if it was on-board it'd be easier to maximise battery life.
If the idea here is to try to use trust to get the kid to keep the thing on them, then fair enough but the GPS should still be internal.
The poor buggers who launched this must be a small team. Pity they seem to have fallen down the cracks between technologies so badly.
- Apple: We'll unleash OS X Yosemite beta on the MASSES on 24 July
- Pics It's Google HQ - the British one: Reg man snaps covert shots INSIDE London offices
- The END of the FONDLESLAB KINGS? Apple and Samsung have reason to FEAR
- White? Male? You work in tech? Let us guess ... Twitter? We KNEW it!
- Put down that Oracle database patch: It could cost $23,000 per CPU