back to article MPs get ready to grubby hands in 'wash-up'

If you thought that the guillotine coming down on government business effectively halfway through the parliamentary session meant that much of the controversial legislation now before Parliament will just go away, think again. As those looking for a flutter on the date of the general election narrow their options to just three …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Smith 19 Gold badge

Think of it as a memory scrub for parliament

And you know how useful they can be.

It's your vote. Use it wisely

100 days max, 65 days likely

2. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!
    Pint

so THAT'S how...

They got SOCPA through! I had wondered. Especially after reading the rather excellent 'Taking Liberties Since 1997'* which has a fair amount about the practical implications of this piece of used toilet paper masquerading as legislation...

*co-authored by The Moderatrix. Go to Amazon and buy it now to keep Her Testiness in beer as compensation for dealing with us lot!**

**also an excellent summary of just what's been going on over the last decade or so. Cynical as I am, it quite staggered me going through it all at once.

3. Glesga Snapper
    Thumb Down

Typical.

More disgusting behaviour from grubby little pigs, with no one but their own vested interests in mind. I want Labour out, but I don't think any of the other options are much better, to be honest.

1. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!

Agreed

"but I don't think any of the other options are much better, to be honest"

If I had Brown, Cameron & Clegg in front of me, and I was allowed just one punch, I think I'd go into the mental equivalent of an infinite loop trying to decide on whom to "favour".

4. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

Wonderful...

... So more rubbish legislation gets passed without adequate examination, let alone proper debate by our elected representatives, instead it's the Party Elite who decide what's best for the country based on what will make *them* look good in the polls.

The real "wash up" that Parliament needs is someone to clean out the Augean Stables and get rid of all these crappy "nod and a wink" established procedures which have damn all to do with any democratic process.

5. OffBeatMammal

Where is the fourth estate?

not picking on El Reg - because they don't seem to have a political axe to grind - most of the press these days are aligned to one or other of the viewpoints and simply churn out predictable stories with the relevant bias.

Back in the day it was the role of the press to actually act as a collective voice and memory - to quote an Australian media outlet "keeping the b@stards honest"

Living in the US these days I just have to look at the alignment of Fox and CNN to the two political parties and the total lack of independant thought questioning the constant trough grubbing that happens here and I fear for what Britain will become

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like