back to article Google borgs online photo editor

Google has acquired Picnik, a 20-person startup offering a web-based photo editing service. The deal was announced today with a post to both the Google and Picnik blogs. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. With the Flash-based Picnik, you can upload photos from your hard drive or open them directly from online pic-sharing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Big-nosed Pengie

title

I wonder whether the terms of use will transfer ownership of the photos to Google.

Evil Google icon plz.

2. Antidisestablishmentarianist

Flash based?

Wonder if they'll get them to rewrite it in HTML5...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

I second the evil Google icon

Come on, Gates is a freakin saint now, Balmer is an impotent dick-hole, Jobs is about to die (though most Stalinist of the bunch).

Google is now the face of true-evil. Get with the times Reg!

1. sandman

And another request for evil Google icon

Come on, it wouldn't take five minutes to put horns and a forked tongue on the letter G now, would it?

2. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge
      Pint

Add me to the list requesting icon updates.

Evil/Good Gates is irrelevant, that really should be Ballmer. Evil/Good Google would be relevant, given the amount of coverage Google gets at El Reg.

They could wipe out the Stop/Go icons; they don't see much use around here.

The developpers have just finished some massive upgrades to the El Reg website, including a revamp of the comments system. (Yay for the "my forums" section! It helps me monitor which threads I am active in!) Now it's time to revamp the icons.

Brew for the excellent coders.

4. Rocket
    Pirate

This [st/applic]ation is fully operational!

I, for one, welcome our new web based empire overlords.

... I just wish I could think of a relevant Caprica quote - but there are none ;)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonder if...

... they'll just flush it down the toilet.

If so, they'd better snake it first, as Jaiku is still stuck in the S-bend.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what's in store

I predict a new enhanced Chrome extension

7. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

Also

Request a Google icon. It should be a saintly icon that mouseovers to be an evil icon.

With a tooltip. That says "don't mention the Chinese"

8. Simon Riley

Oh dear

I liked Picnik. Now I fear G**gle will own any photo it touches.

Back to the GIMP then...

9. Stu
    Joke

A new Verb?

A new dictionary definition.

Borg

- VERB to assimilate and bring into the fold. To add to your own the biological and technological distinctiveness of something/someone.

I like it! Kinda trek geeky but its good. Esp. where Google are concerned.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like a building block for Chrome OS

And 'tis the Google way: can't be bothered to write your own basic image application? Just buy one (as opposed to the MS way of stealing it and then buying it).

Add mine to the voices in favour of an Evil Google icon.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Evil icon now please

Or do we have to create a petition on the No. 10 website?

@VoodooTrucker - how funny would Jobs look with a Stalin 'tache

12. BorkedAgain
    Welcome

Um.

Evil how, exactly?

I mean, possibly I'm being hopelessly naive here, but surely they've spotted something that would be a useful addition to Chrome OS, and liked it so much they bought the company.

Wouldn't it have been worse had they used their awesome scale and power to simply do their own version of the same solution in competition with the innovators, using their might and market position to drive the originators of the idea out of business? 'Cos they could have done that, and then the uproar would be deafening in its silence (because nobody would hear about it, that's why.)

I can think of worse fates for a tech startup than being borged by the chocolate factory...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wow

I always wished there was a way to edit photos that was slower, less convenient and less secure than any of the numerous standalone photo editors that have been released over the last two decades.

The trouble with The Gimp, Photoshop, Coral Draw, Paint.NET et al, is that they don't automatically upload copies of your work to Google. That's a massive downside in my opinion.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like