FalconStor and Violin have come up with a flash-based SAN accelerator featuring a dedicated cache area to speed up writes. Take one Violin 1010 flash memory appliance (a PCI-connected solid state drive) and have it fitted to a server running FalconStor's Network Storage Server Gateway and storage management software - the …
flash as cache?
"app doing the write is told it's completed before it's actually written to disk"
Uhmmm... don't most storage arrays worth their salt do exactly that?
Yes, most storage arrays use DRAM for write caching, but are limited to a few gigabytes due to the cost of DRAM. SAN Accelerator augments this with 500 GB to 4TB of flash memory.
- Review Is it an iPad? Is it a MacBook Air? No, it's a Surface Pro 3
- Game Theory The agony and ecstasy of SteamOS: WHERE ARE MY GAMES?
- Hello, police, El Reg here. Are we a bunch of terrorists now?
- Kate Bush: Don't make me HAVE CONTACT with your iPHONE
- Worstall on Wednesday Wall Street woes: Oh noes, tech titans aren't using bankers