back to article Microsoft and the Windows Phone 7 noise machine

Critics of the company and Web 2.0 fashionistas frequently assert that Microsoft is no longer "relevant," in an era of Google and open source. But the near hysterical level of speculation in the run-up to Windows Phone 7 - and the coverage on the day - prove the opposite. It remains a center of gravity. What you actually got …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Joke

44 seconds

Of musical intro?

Waiting for Win 7 to boot before you could talk? :-)

Thumb Down

Not to be a Luddite...

but as usual, because of several factors, I'm skipping this audio content. Is there no chance of including plain-text versions of this stuff? For all I know it might be quite interesting.

DJV

Agreed

A few bullet points for those of us with some proper work to do, please.

Silver badge
Dead Vulture

Near hysterical speculation?

Really?

So what do you call the lead up to the iPhone, and now the iPad? Deadly Mania? Do a couple of "meh" inspiring articles in el reg constitute "hysterical speculation"?

I know that Mary Jo is a MS fangirl and all, but describing public interest in the imminent splat down of "Windows Phone 7 Series" as "hysterical" seems a bit over the top, even for MJF.

Paris Hilton

"near hysterical level of speculation"

You mean like the "near hysterical level of speculation" we've just witnessed regarding the iPad?

Silver badge

Windows Phone 7?

Who gives a flying toss? You wouldn't enter an elephant into the Grand National, so why the hell would you want Windows on your phone?

Gates Horns

Can't/won't listen to audio

"Microsoft pulled a Jedi mind trick, dazzling people..."

And that there is the crux of it - all Microsoft can do is pull Jedi mind trick after Jedi mind trick, fooling people into buying the glitz and the flashy presentation, but providing no substance. "Never mind if it works or not, look at the pretty colours!" Who remembers the line from Robocop? "Who cares if it works, we get to sell spare parts for years."

Btw, they've solved the legacy problem by making WinMo7 incompatible with previous versions.

Bronze badge

DNA

Ooh who remembers further back than that to The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Douglas Adams predicted Microsoft perfectly in the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation whose definition of a robot is "Your Plastic Pal who's Fun to Be With" and whose products never work properly.

"Go stick your head in a pig", etc etc.

FAIL

Nose Machine

I read the title as '...WINDOWS 7 PHONE NOSE MACHINE' and thought that finally my standard of measuring phone operability had been adopted, established after realising I could pretty much operate my iPhone with my nose.

I think it's a fantastic standard and would like to see all design teams aspire to nose-based UIs, perhaps the Reg could help by incorporating this into product reviews?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums