back to article VDI: Desktop problem obliterator?

Desktop virtualisation isn't a panacea that will slay infections and slash costs - it's a problem-filled journey that may not even solve the problems you started out wanting to fix. That's one lesson attendees at IDC's Desktop Virtualisation Conference 2010 in London learnt. The easy desktop virtualisation pitch is that you …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thin client

VDI = expensive and bloated 'evolved' thin client?

If only Digital hadn't imploded :(

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

@Thin client

Yep, desktop hardware is so ridiculously cheap that you end up putting 80s supercomputers on the receptionist's desk and now somebody comes up with a 'solution' that offloads this onto expensive mainframes - sorry 'application servers'.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So what is the choice...

Next year when I have to buy the receptionist a new PC as part of the refresh and the minmum spec will be quad core, 1TB hard drive and 4GB ram, to run what, email and facebook and I will get 0.002 cpu utilisation, well that makes a hell of a lot of sense moving forward!!

VDI is not the magic bullet but it sure as hell will help as part of a mixed environment and that includes Server based computing, app virtualisation and thin clients........

Can't wait until all the task based users want hex core, maybe two years away, VDI is coming as all the alternatives are even more scary?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Citrix

So how is this any different to what Citrix have been doing for a decade?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

All....because we didn't pick a good muli-user OS

ALL of this crap...VDI, Citrix, VMWare is because we didn't pick a good multi-user OS.

VMWare because we picked a Server OS(Windows) that can't do more than one thing at a time apparently.

Citrix/VDI, because we picked a Desktop OS(Windows) that can't handle having more then one user live and work on it.

With UNIX/Linux I don't need VMWare to drive up my 'utilization'. I can easily and safely run a Webserver, Database Server, Web Server, and 20 different applicatons all on the same single running install of the OS.

Ditto for desktops...With Linux/Unix I can simple and easily have as many users running their desktop sessions on the systems that the processors and memory will support. No need for TRICKS or funny stuff or problems with 'trying to write to the registry' at the same place etc.

FACE IT... the whole reason we got into this mess is because we listened to clueless PEE CEE user/admins who could not see past the mouse in the their hand when it came to designing architecture.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like