back to article 3 Bulgarians charged in 44-day ATM hacking spree

Three Bulgarian men were charged Wednesday with defrauding banks of more than $137,000 in a scheme that attached electronic skimming devices to numerous automatic teller machines in Massachusetts. In the 44-day hacking spree, the men planted skimmers on ATMs maintained by Bank of America and Citizens Bank and secretly recorded …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
WTF?

Huh? What?

"Bulgarian" in the headline without "Airbags" in the story? I just wasted a click there!

Go

Charge 'em under the DMCA!

Maximum fine of $1.25m, for _actually stealing money_ repeatedly from a major American business (or its customers)?

Banks - take a leaf out of the RIAA's book, and charge these nobodies with copyright infringement - say $80,000 per card inserted into the machine - it must be worth at least as much as the sort of track Jammie Thomas would listen to. Best of all - you get to keep the money at the end of it!

Cheers

DD

Anonymous Coward

That'll be why....

.....I always closely cover my fingers when entering my PIN. Even a camera directly above won't be able to see anything.

Of course, this doesn't help if they add a fake keyboard as well.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

ATM?

I haven't used one of those in years!

Coat

A Legitimate Reason to be Packing....

A Wi-Fi Jammer :)))

when you go to the bank/ATM

yes officer it IS a jamming device, im using it to protect my debit/credit cards from those guys trying to look innocuous in the car over the road.

Scammer Free ZONE here, in the inside pocket of my jacket...

Stop

WIFI Wtf?

Ive never seen a Skimmer that uses wifi. They all use either self memory or the remote ones use Bluetooth or GSM(SMS)

WTF?

WFI Wtf

Ive never seen a WIFI Skimmer. They use either memory or Bluetooth or GSM(SMS)

Wifi would require that they are in a wifi hotspot. Or that the user is close enough for wifi to breadcast. (Wasting a lot of power)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums